Perception of tree climbers

• cc12312
  • cc12312's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122796 by cc12312
Perception of tree climbers was created by cc12312
I recently visited some friends who work for the USFS in Sierra National Forest south of Yosemite. The topic of tree climbing came up in passing, and I was appalled to find the general perception that all tree climbers were rogue miscreants with no care for the environment, just out on a lark to climb a sequoia. That seemed to be based largely on ignorance of the topic, plus word of the experience of one particular ranger who has caught climbers using spikes, and who is now on a crusade to save the trees from the nasty climbers. They had never heard of tree climbing as a sport, and were surprised to hear that climbers would even think to use a cambium saver.

This is an example of where education, publicity for the sport, and exposure to climbers who show concern and use good practices, can go a long way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tear
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122797 by Tear
Replied by Tear on topic Perception of tree climbers
This morning, since I had no class and my friend's class was cancelled, we drove down the road to this wonderful park called Poet's Walk, which is owned by Scenic Hudson, an environmental conservation group. We went and climbed a white oak right off the main path, drawing curious children and Russian tourists to the base of our tree, wondering what we were doing. We had a blast showing them how fun and safe it could be, letting them know that this is a really cool, safe activity. It's definitely up to us to educate on the responsibilty that goes with climbing.
-Joshua

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122798 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Perception of tree climbers
The post by "cc" shows that the negative attitudes of tree climbers exist because of the BAD climbers. They don't realize that there are many who have climbed the trees in their forests but went unnoticed because they were clean and quiet.

Climb safe, clean and quiet!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• wildbill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122799 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic Perception of tree climbers
This is an example of why education about treeclimbing -- including canopy adventure and research -- is needed throughout the outdoor community and with average people who know nothing about us. You will be better off to show people what you're doing before you ask them for permission, because too many people have wrong impressions about what we're doing. The vision in thier mind is usually either that of a 10-uear-old boy sitting on a limb, or a Paul Bunyan lookalike with huge spikes on his feet. Showing them what you're doing is always more effective than telling them what you're doing. I have run across a few rangers (particularly those who are either into adventure-type work with campers or those who lead youth or scout groups) who are either familiar with what we're doing or are open-minded enough to give us a chance. So far, though, they are few and far between. The remainder of their colleagues are more interested in just stopping any activity in parks and forests that they don't understand or that they perceive as a threat to other campers and hikers.

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122804 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Danger To The Public
I think that we have not payed enough attention to those who worry about the public heath threat of our favorite activity. I cringe everytime I hear of someone climbing in a park or just off a trail having to descend to explain their presense in the treetops.
When ever it is concievable that someone might walk under a tree that we are active in we must assume the responsibility for their safety. Remember gravity? Everything falls towards the center of the earth, so if you dislodge a limb it is most likely going to hit the ground. In a park or beside a trail there is a fairly good chance that some one may be under that limb.

Are we a danger to the forests? Yes, those us who climb irresponsibly can be, but most of us know better. Are we a danger to the public while aloft? We certainly are if we are climbing in a place the public frequents.

We do, as a group, a great job of teaching safety for the climbers, but it is necessary that we make sure all climbers consider the health risks to the tree and the general public if we climb irresponsibly.

Please, if you are going to climb in a park, bring a groundie, and keep the little kids away from the tree while you are aloft. Who knows the conversations of the groundie with the officials may open the door to more public climbing areas.

Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122834 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Icabob makes a good point here.
I agree with Icabod. A groundie is a must if you climb in public places where people frequent. I will bring a whole stack of TCI brochures with me as many people will ask me what I am doing AND how they can get started climbing trees. People will also ask about damage to the trees being climbed and it is a great opportunity for education.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122848 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Thanks
Thanks for the props Peter!

You know I would love for you guys to produce a printable (.pdf) document that outlines what we do in the treetops.

When I was climbing solo I NEVER had anyone pass me by, there was a grey fox, and the same deer twice in the same tree (I laughed until my sides hurt when I made some silly noise and he looked around and then walked off, then came back only to repeat the whole procedure). But Saplin' whom I've been climbing with of late and I have had people walk (or DRIVE) up on us on all but one of our wild climbs. I made a mistake and left my bag on the ground, and when the kids on the 4-wheeler tried to grab it they said "OH! They are in the tree!" and took off. I wouldn't be as afraid of having folks walk up on us if I had a bag of official looking TCI brochures hanging from the bole of the tree.

So Treeman, I hope you guys can put this good idea into action (and send me some stickers for my helmet and truck while you are at it! :D)

Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds