• tengu12
  • tengu12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122792 by tengu12
ZZZZs in The TREEs was created by tengu12
Woof! (thats a tree-bark)
I just got done doing the last offical public ZZZZs in the Trees, for the year 2003. (Private ZZZZs are held all year round). There were 4 of us aloft in Nimrod, who is one of the elders at the founders grove here in Atlanta.
The climb went great! We started at 7pm, everyone went aloft to set up their sleeping bags, therma-rest, pillows etc.. into their newly placed treeboats. After setting up our arboral camp, the crew went out to dinner as I stood gaurd at our treeboat village. About 50 yards south of the trees a hugh (aprox. 50 drummers) drumming circle was about to begin. The crew, now bellies full, and I went to join the circle for about an hour. We all decided that it would be to our advantage to get aloft and experience the drumming from a canopy perspective.
Its always a treat to listen to "any sound" from the canopy, and a Drum Circles is candy for the ears. All the drums become one when you are above them. While sitting in the circle, on the ground, the drums next to you are the ones that hit you the hardest, but once aloft you are stuck in a vortex of primative beating of the hides.
After ascending into the tree the drumming went on for another hour we then started to doze in and out of reality. Tree time is a whole new time when you are having a nocturnal experince!
Just before shut eye, during one of those floating moments, I caught the vision of a flying squirrel soaring right above me. What a sight to watch these guys soar. I gave thanks for the opportunity to see him. Just then another one came 16inchs from my face he was climbing up the branch that my treeboat was tied to, he sat and looked at me for a good 5 seconds. It was beautiful, I could see the moons reflection in his bright big black eye. I must have twitched cause all of a sudden he soared down into the void of the darkness below.
The rest of night I heard them through out the canopy and felt like I was under good protection as these Tree Scouts were watching over (and under) us.
The temp. was perfect all night long, we awoke to a beautiful sunrise with a symphony of bird song and Eric saying "Top of the morning!", we had a little chuckle and descended back down to start the day.
I want to thank everyone who particapetd in the monthly ZZZZs this year, we all have our own memories of our first night and last night that we slept aloft, won't you all please share them with the rest of us.

Adventure- UP!
Tengu

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds