Chinese

• Scout-dog
  • Scout-dog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #138210 by Scout-dog
Chinese was created by Scout-dog
Am wondering what the general thoughts are on equipment from China? I mean the very mention of ANYTHING bought from China makes you think of mass produced cheap and imitation products. Ok for a mickey mouse watch, but not if you're sitting in it 60 feet up. But looking at some of the stuff (harnesses) on ebay, they at least look pretty good. I kind of try to avoid China made goods in general. Just because some shops seem to sell little else, and they have pretty bad track record for animal welfare. I mean ive been to the place and didn't see anything TOO bad (like wanton cruelty) but still, they have no laws at all about animal welfare, so that cant be a good thing. Anyway, digressing here - what's they're ropes and harnesses like?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #138212 by patty
Replied by patty on topic Chinese
Hi Scout-dog,

The advice we always give new climbers is that you should know what type of gear to buy and its characteristics (and why those characteristics are important) before you make a purchase. See our Gear section for that. There's also a chapter in the TCI "Tree Climbing Basics" DVD you just purchased where Peter talks about gear.

For life supporting gear, such as your saddle and rope, I think it's always best to go with brands that are manufactured to meet industry standards and are well known and used by tree climbers. I don't know if there are standards in China, or anywhere else for that matter.

If you decide to take a chance on unknown gear, make sure you can return it if it's not right. Check the fine print on any Ebay seller.

Patty
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by patty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds