TCI Training Hostel

• oldtimer
  • oldtimer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 2 weeks ago #133317 by oldtimer
TCI Training Hostel was created by oldtimer
I love this addition to the TCI training program. There are many students from all over the World that have been thru the training at TCI Atlanta and this Hostel will make it very convenient to future visitor. Even I will have to break down and go for a refresher class on rigging and advanced Techniques one of these days. Thanks for the great adddition to your program. Best Wishes!

Three Cheers
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Last edit: 15 years 2 weeks ago by oldtimer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #133358 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Re:TCI Training Hostel
I got a chance to visit the Hostel this last week while working in Atlanta. Peter and Patty are doing it up right! It is a beautiful place, and the trees look fantastic. I only regret that I was unable to climb while I was there.

I'd reccomend a stay to anyone. I can't wait to see the skyline of Atlanta from Obama the Tree. Peter, you've got to show me where the best view is!

I may have to spend an extra night down there this week if the weather turns, I'll give a report if I do.

Good job Patty, you too Peter.

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 1 week ago #133359 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:TCI Training Hostel
Hello Icabod, nice for you to have a chance to visit the TCI Hostel site. I look forward to heard/read your report and see some photos of the Atlanta Skyline next time you manage to drop by.

They actually have a TREE named Obama! Wow that is great.
I will have to check it out and read the story of how they came up with that name. :laugh:

More
15 years 4 days ago #133386 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re:TCI Training Hostel
I read briefly about the hostel...but what is it? What kind of trees? When can I move in! :P

This is cool, though. Maybe one day there will be a west coast hostel!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
15 years 3 days ago #133391 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Re:TCI Training Hostel
I'm not sure I remember correctly but there were at least two poplars, and a white pine that looked very good. All the other trees, and there are several more look great.

Peter is doing lots of work on them, I can't wait to get back down to Atlanta.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
14 years 11 months ago #133428 by Trebuchet
Replied by Trebuchet on topic Re:TCI Training Hostel
I'm headed to the TCI Training Hostel tomorrow, \"weather\" or not! I can hardly wait to see everyone there, the new Training Facility, \"Obama\" and the other stately trees, and from the way I hear it, Atlanta in bloom. B) I'll do some photo-journaling, when the sun comes out :laugh: , and of course as much climbing as possible during my stay through Sunday. :woohoo:

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133433 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:TCI Training Hostel
We're looking forward to see your pictures and read a full report of your experience at the TCI Training Class and Hostel.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #133516 by Trebuchet
Replied by Trebuchet on topic Re:TCI Training Hostel
A First Guest's Review of the TCI Hostel...

First off, I want to be sure, here and now, to post my boundless appreciation of Patty and Peter, and their remarkable commitment to the TCI Facilitator \"course\". Thank you, Patty and Peter, so very much for hosting me, and others, at the TCI Hostel! Staying at the lovely forested residence made an immensely enriching experience a true \"pleasure cruise\". At least that's what Randy told me when I was checking his breathing... :laugh: I was/am very delighted to be one of the first guests hosted at the TCI Hostel.

The Review:
The setting of the TCI Hostel in the Merry Hills of Atlanta, Georgia, on a hilltop perch in rolling and rollicking hills permits one to temporarily forget about the stark uniformity of freeways and parking lots. None of that is visible, nor audible from the Merry Hills area. Of course the sounds of Bluejays, Cardinals, very audible Wrens (16x louder than a chicken, Peter..?), and Owl can be enjoyed. The flights of Black Vulture, Crow, Hawk, and others on parade aloft are not to be missed.

Activities that may be engaged in at the Hostel, or very nearby, include, but are not limited to: laughing, weeping (tears of joy), walking, tree climbing, pensive study, provisioning, discovering incredible new friends, diverse dining, night-climbing, photo-journaling, and that's not all.

Of course, there is also the profound enhancement of you as a tree climber that can be accomplished when registered and attending a course sited at what is rapidly becoming a premier, fully-equipped RTC training facility. The curriculum is appropriately thorough, thoughtful, and evolving.

The \"classroom\" is couched in the luxury of a 1950s brick Georgian ranch house, surrounded by a variety of tree species, among them: Poplar, Oak, and Pine. All are of significant size. Smaller specimens of Magnolia, Maple, and Dogwood are also present. In fact, Tree Surgeon, Paul Poynter, of the United Kingdom, and another TCI Hostel guest, noticed across the street from the Hostel what is believed may be a Redwood. Amazing! During the first week in April, at least three different color Dogwoods were in bloom, outdone only by a nearby, magnificent Double-blooming Cherry. Wow!

Of course, because the Hostel adjoins the Jenkins' residence property, there is also the convenience of being able to invite the Instructors over during free time after class in the evenings to sort out the day's accomplishments, celebrate, and to discover the best-kept secret dining places.

More than discovering those delicious dining opportunity firsts, I also discovered, for the first time: the Super System; Double-blooming Cherry trees; Tonganese cats; the Atlanta skyline at night from a ~93' treetop perch in, yes, \"Obama\" the tree; the Arugula-bedecked \"biggie smalls\" specialty pizza; one of the UK's emerging premier tree surgeons; two of Scranton's finest eco-sound pro arbos; rain-resistant queue cards; sweet potato pancakes; and \"the Pit\" (ask Peter...); the Business of RTC; and finally, as an intern RTC Facilitator, outfitting, harnessing, and belaying first-time tree climbers! (yup, tears of joy, here again...). Quite a full and rewarding agenda.

Named Trees: \"Obama\", \"HiPop\", \"Jaha\", among others I'm forgetting... Oh, there are unnamed trees, too. Maybe you should get to the Hostel and name one yourself!

The only downside was that I wanted to climb the Control towers during the airport layovers on my trip home. I only had my Vertex Vent and one 'biner, so I had to wait. ;)

Well, all this to say, collect your favorite personal gear, contact Patty and Peter, and get to the Hostel so you too can step outside your comfort zone to build wonderful tree climbing memories that you can be sure will serve you and yours well for many happy tree climbing years to come. B)

Enjoy the few pics, below, but ask Peter to post some that he composed [please]...

A Double-blooming Cherry...

93' with vines, in \"Obama\" the tree, on a night climb, 04/04/2009

Looking down the lines in \"Obama\", night climb

Blaze tie-in at ~100' in \"Obama\"
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by Trebuchet.

More
13 years 8 months ago #134745 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:TCI Training Hostel
I was in ATL in May and must say that the Hostel is the way to go. It's great having a cozy place to stay with some wonderful climbing to be done right out the back door. Come to think of it, there's some climbing to be done out front too. Plus you can't beat the price. I also like the fact that there's a plaza only a short 5 min. walk away.
Note to Treeman and Curly, next time I come down I'm bringing my blues harp. Prepare to be entertained.
:laugh:

• patty jenkins
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #134792 by patty jenkins
Replied by patty jenkins on topic Re:TCI Training Hostel
Way to go, 2chops! Really lookin' forward to that! We'll pull together a really great bluesjam.
Hey congrats on getting climbing insurance! Pretty soon word will be out all over PA that you're facilitating climbers!
p
P.S. New name for Hostel is "Guest House"--are you the one who thought of that??
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by patty jenkins.

More
13 years 7 months ago #134793 by 2chops
I'm not really sure if I came up with the new hostel moniker or not. I kinda recall it being mentioned in a passing conversation. But then there were quite a few of those. But I do take the nod for the "handshake", the "jippy slip", and "the theory of refracted energy of the outside observer when observing via a mirror." Ask Peter. He'll fill you in. ;)

More
13 years 7 months ago #134813 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:TCI Training Hostel
2Chops
Always wanted to play the harp. Mighty handy to take up into the trees. I used to do the recorder in the trees. A bit more of an angel sound. But harp would get folks to looking around even more; looking for that ghost harp. No one ever looks up for treetop music. Out of sight, out of mind.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
13 years 7 months ago #134814 by 2chops
If ya get a harp, get a good one. A Hohner Special 20 in the key of "C". Or better yet, get a Lee Oskar / major diatonic, key of "C". The Oskar has a snappier action and is more durrable for the same price. Then get on Jon Gindick's site @. Gindick.com for free beginners tips & lessons.

-3 4 -3 -2....
Get one and play this tab. It'll make sense.
B) Ron.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds