• Gold Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132086 by TreeTramp
Next years Rendezvous? was created by TreeTramp
Could this please be the place? Pretty Please

Tanglewood Park Clemons NC

Park Information
Park History

Tanglewood is rich in history, beauty and southern charm. Tanglewood’s story lies not only beneath the surface but can be experienced as an ongoing living process. The property now known as Tanglewood Park was part of land claimed by Sr. Walter Raleigh for Queen Elizabeth on March 25, 1584. Among the earliest European settlers of the Yadkin River Valley was William Johnson, an immigrant from Wales. In 1757, just four years after the Moravian settlement of the Wachovia Tract in the nearby communities of Bethabara and Salem, Johnson purchased the mile square central portion of the present property from the Ellis family to whom the land was deeded in 1753 by Lord William Linville. The Ellis family leased the land for a short time \"for five shillings lawful money of Great Britain in hand a yearly rent of one peppercorn payment at he Feast of Saint Michael, the archangel\".

After obtaining the property, Johnson built a fort overlooking the Yadkin River to protect his family and neighbors from attacks during the French and Indian War. Currently, this spot is marked by a monument just south of the Manor House. In 1765, he died and is now buried on the highest hill in the area called Mount Pleasant. In 1809 a simple frame church was erected next to his grave and remains today as one of the park’s architectural attractions. Although services are no longer held there, many people are united in marriage at the Mount Pleasant Church each year.
In 1859, James Johnson had the 18 room Manor House built on a hill in the center of the estate. The house was a gift of love to his daughter, Emily, for a wedding present. Two wings were added later.

The Johnson heirs sold their property in 1921 to William Neal Reynolds, brother of tobacco entrepreneur R. J. Reynolds. At that time the Tanglewood tract was enlarged to over 1,100 acres and the Manor House expanded to 28 rooms. Mr. Will, as he was called, raised and raced thoroughbred harness horses and established Tanglewood Farm as a home to some of the country’s finest pacers. In the Manor House, Mr. Will had a special room dedicated to his trophy’s, called the \"Trophy Room.\" A fire that started mysteriously in a trophy room display case in 1980 did considerable damage, but the room has been restored. The room is surrounded by plaques and horse photographs. It is obvious that Mr. Will was a horse lover, and this tradition is carried on with Tanglewood Farm. Trail rides, hayrides, and carriage rides are available by reservation.

Today, the Manor House is a Bed & Breakfast Inn with 10 guest rooms, sweeping staircases, the Trophy Room, 20’s Room, and Rock Fireplace Room. These facilities are used for weddings, meetings, and overnight accommodations. It is rumored that Mr. Will’s spirit makes friendly visits to the house from time to time.
Mr. Will’s wife, Kate, a horticultural enthusiast, began the extensive native and ornamental plantings at Tanglewood and employed German master gardener, Mr. Frank Lustig, who continued her plans and his life’s work. He contributed the 800 bush Rose Garden on the Manor House lawn, the Arboretum behind the house, and the nearby Fragrance Garden to the estate. For 60 years, even after the death of his employers, and their gift of the estate, Lustig poured his talents into Tanglewood. He is buried in the graveyard at Tanglewood next to the historic church.

In 1951, the Reynolds willed the Tanglewood property to the citizens of Forsyth County to share as a public recreational park. The couple had no children. The Reynolds willed the property as a gesture to have others benefit from the beauty, elegance, history, and recreation their country estate had to offer. Thus, Tanglewood Park was born. The public recreational facility is owned by Forsyth County.

The combination of its streams, woodlands and grassy pastures with the traditions of its architecture, horses, gardening, and wide range of recreational activities make Tanglewood an ideal countryside park to visit over and over again. Whether your journey brings you on business or pleasure, we offer something for everyone.

How Tanglewood Got Its Name
There are several stories on how Tanglewood was named.
One version is that, while strolling through tangled underbrush where timber had been cleared, the name occurred to Kate Reynolds.
Another version is that the heirs to the Johnson family had noticed the tangled undergrowth. She read Tanglewood Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne frequently to her children, and named the family farm Tanglewood. Apparently, Mr. Will asked if the name could be continued after his possession of the property, and the Johnson heirs said they would be honored.

Both stories are told, no one thus far can prove either one. The reader should decide which story they prefer to believe.

Kate Reynolds wrote this poem about Tanglewood:
\"The seat of creeks and mighty trees,
Of fertile soil and balmy breeze…
Twould fill a page, had I a book,
To tell the joys of Tanglewood!\"

See you at the top,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #132087 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Next years Rendezvous?
I think that's where we're headed at this point. A great site, would be perfect.
-moss

More
15 years 5 months ago #132089 by bobwray
Replied by bobwray on topic Re:Next years Rendezvous?
Hi Everyone,
I just got back from this years gathering at Simpsonwood and it was OUTSTANDING!*!*, and that is a gross understatement. Patty (\"mostly\",according to Patty!) and Peter could not have done a better job and my hat is off to them.
Tanglewood in Clemmons, NC IS the place that I hope to host it next year. I will approach them in the coming weeks and make an announcement as soon as I get the go ahead. Keep your fingers crossed! This is a fabulous place with \"Many\" beautiful giants. Some of you came to my event last April and you already know what to expect. And we barely scratched the surface of the property. I hope to go back this winter several times to explore, climb and GPS map the place. I could use some volunteers. Tough work but someone has to do it.
Stay tuned guys,
Bob Wray
Blue Ridge Tree Climbing

• TreeTramp
  • TreeTramp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #132094 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re:Next years Rendezvous?
I agree that Patty and Peter have set the standard high by doing such a great job and we all should tip our helmets to them. FAR OUT!

Bob you da man if you can snag Tanglewood Park as next years venue!

By only reading the info it seems to be a treehuggers heaven on earth.

See you at Tanglewood (you go Bob),

Dan
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by TreeTramp.

More
15 years 5 months ago #132102 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Next year Rendezvous?
I agree that having a new location is great and it spreads the preparation work among every possible contributor in different states. Every site that I have attended (Six so far) had something special and its own challenges but that is the way it works. :laugh:

Patty and Peter and everyone at TCI did an EXCELLENT work of working all the details from a very simple pre-registration to final check out. The continuous updates of information on line made it very easy for the participants to get their plans together on time. Patty told me that she put some very long work days and I hope that \"Volunteers\" would be willing and able to help Bob or whoever tries to organize the next Rendezvous.

I did not have the chance to go to Tanglewood during the last get together but the photos and the stories posted by the participants made it sound like a perfect place to get our next 2009 Rendezvous.

For those that still are looking for a cool place in Georgia to climb this November read the post from WildBill in the \"Announcements Area\" about the upcoming get together at FDR Park in Pine Mountain, GA. A more rustic place with cabins and wild trees within walking distance. Nice!

See Oldtimer \"hanging around\" at FDR Park last year.

• pattyjenkins
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 4 months ago #132442 by pattyjenkins
Replied by pattyjenkins on topic Re:Next years Rendezvous?
I've heard that Tanglewood is THE place for a Rendezvous, and we're thrilled (and relieved!) that Bob has stepped up to organize next year's gig. TCI now has the online apparatus in place to make the whole process easier, and we have offered to make it available to him in whatever ways he needs and wants. We're happy to help make next year's event another great one!

On a beautifully sunny, clear, colorful, so far 50-degree day in Atlanta,
Patty

More
15 years 4 months ago #132502 by pgwisn
Replied by pgwisn on topic Re:Next years Rendezvous?
Hi everyone,
Any idea on potential dates for the 2009 Rendezvous? I need to clear these trips with the boss (aka spouse) well in advance?
Although I am new to TCI, I have climbed commercially for 28 years. I've always loved being in trees and it is great to finally be finding time to climb as recreation.
Thanks,
Pat

More
15 years 4 months ago #132505 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Next years Rendezvous?
Hello Pat; I do not think Bob W. has mentioned a specific date yet but he mentioned the Tanglewood Park in NC as the site in one of his posts above. I assume that as soon as he has a firm date set he will make an \"official announcement\" and start the registration process. I would like to have the dates set also to make airline reservations since you never know when the prices will go higher these days.
For photos of this year's Rendezvous in Atlanta visit our Flickr Site at this location.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/vous08/

More
15 years 4 months ago #132508 by pgwisn
Replied by pgwisn on topic Re:Next years Rendezvous?
Thanks oldtimer,
I'll watch the thread for dates.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132509 by bobwray
Replied by bobwray on topic Re:Possible date for next years Rendezvous!
Hi Everyone,
I had my first meeting with Kelli and Chris at Tanglewood last week. They will be in the construction phase on the campground where we stayed last April. Chris does not think that it be ready for us but is is possible. They have offered us the amphitheater area to camp and it has showers about 100 yards away. There is also electricity and water there but no covered picnic area. This area is way more expensive than the campground but I think that we can afford it if I don't provide meals. Let me know what you think about that. There a several nice places to eat right at the entrance to the park and since most of us are campers this shouldn't be a problem. I want to do at least a couple of pot luck dinners like we do up here at my property.
I hope to do this one as inexpensive as I can so that we can grow the group! Please goggle Tanglewood Park in Clemmons, NC and check it out, you will be impressed. Chris said that to date they have documented 38 trees at least 150 feet tall and there are way more than that available to us to climb!
As soon as I hear from Kelli I will let you all know. Please feel free to call or email me anytime.
Bob Wray
276 398 2639
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132510 by bobwray
Replied by bobwray on topic Re:Possible date for next years Rendezvous!
Sorry about, that I forgot to give you the Potential date, first weekend of October, 2009.
Brain Dead Bob~

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds