• bobwray
  • bobwray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
16 years 1 month ago #131302 by bobwray
SPRING CLIMB-IN 08 TANGLEWOOD PARK was created by bobwray
Hi Tree Huggers,
I have been having a Spring and Fall climbing event on my property for years. This year I was asked to have the Spring Climb-In at Tanglewood Park in Clemmons, NC April 25-27. I have climbed there twice and have never seen so many huge trees (120+) in such an accessable area. I personally climbed a 150' tulip poplar and the one beside me was taller. It is not always about height but these are some beautiful and BIG trees with great views of the skyline of Winston-Salem. You defintely will not be disappointed.
I began work on this almost 2 month ago and thought it would be a piece of cake. That cake turned to concrete and I almost gave up on it several times. I put the cost of $60 out early on and in the following weeks my cost tripled. I am staying with that price but I need a big group just to break even. It won't ever be this cheap IF I do it again, which is doubtful. The money will cover camping for 2 nights and continental breakfasts I hope! There is no reduction in the price if you choose to stay in a motel, still a great deal. We do a pot luck dinner on Saturday night so bring your specialty. I do boiled shrimp. This will be our only chance to have the entire campground to ourselves. We have hot showers and a really big covered picnic area. We can also have a camp fire so bring wood if you are able. I will be bringing a big load for sure. If you have non climbers with you Tanglewood has tons of things to do: hiking, biking, jogging trails, horseback riding, pool (don't know when it opens?) golf course and the malls of Winston.
This promises to be the Woodstock of climbing events. If you miss it there probably won't be a second chance, I don't think I have the patience to do it again. So move your wedding date! it will be worth it.
Clemmon is located a few miles west of Winston-Salem, NC on I-40. Please send your checks to Blue Ridge Tree Climbing, LLC
182180 Blue Ridge Pkwy. Meadows of Dan, VA. 24120. If you have any questions please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call at 276 398 2639. Please drop me an email to let me know you are coming.
I am hoping to get us some TV coverage so bring your tie-dyed T's. I will keep you posted on that.
Thanks for your patience,
Bob In VA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #131311 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re:SPRING CLIMB-IN 08 TANGLEWOOD PARK
WOW!

You have out did yourself this time and coming to one of your events in still on my list of must-do's.

Odds are not in my favor for this event but I checked out the park and all I can say is WOW!

The gardens look first class and here is a little tree they have: (2nd largest White Oak)

Link to the park: http://www.forsyth.cc/tanglewood/park_History.aspx

What a beauty!

See you at the top,
Dan House

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #131371 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic I'll see you there! Can't wait.
I’ll be there for sure. Let me know if there are experienced climbers that need gear, like saddles and ropes. I can bring extra from the TCI school. I can also bring extra Treeboats.

TCI will have it’s new (used) minivan by then. I can take an extra rider or two from Atlanta.

It sounds like 200 foot ropes need to be used for some of the high climbs. SRT gear is an option too, right? Then you can get away with shorter ropes.

About costs: If you are cutting it near the edge with costs you might think of asking a bit more or asking for donations to help with the funding. I know it goes above your grain in that you already set a price but prices do not always have to be set in stone, especially if your initial estimate of costs did not work out. I believe most of us recreational tree climbers do not live on the borderline. Charge what you need to make it work- that is my opinion. What does everyone else think about this?

About the food: we might want to talk here about who is going to bring what to the pot luck dinner. Imagine- everyone shows up with desert.

What are the weather patterns that time of year? Does it rain or storm? What are the temperature extremes? What can we expect? Is there a covered building if we get stuck in soggy weather?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #131375 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:I'll see you there! Can't wait.
treeman wrote:

What are the weather patterns that time of year? Does it rain or storm? What are the temperature extremes? What can we expect? Is there a covered building if we get stuck in soggy weather?

Looking forward to seeing you Treeman. Since I'm coming all the way from Boston it's going to take a tornado to keep me from climbing. I've already decided I'll be climbing in the rain if that's what happens.
-moss

• bobwray
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
16 years 3 weeks ago #131382 by bobwray
Replied by bobwray on topic Re:SPRING CLIMB-IN 08 TANGLEWOOD PARK
Hi Everyone,
Just finished teaching a class this weekend and had a great time. I have hooked yet another person on our fabulous sport.
Weather patterns?? Spring time in the piedmont of my home state! What could be better?!?: Carolina Blue Skys, perfect temperatures both night and day and a mild breeze through the tree tops. I promise..... trust me~ Just in case we do have a huge covered picnic area with many tables, fire place/Bar-B-Q, electricity and water.
Woodstock/Treestock for sure! Now we have the \"Magic Bus\" coming from TCI......What could be Finer than a Magic Bus Ride to Carolina... GIDDY UP!
Maybe Peter is right about the menu for out pot luck dinner Sat. night. All deserts might make for a bunch of sugar crazed tree climbers.....Not Good~ Then I would need to add an \"OD\" tent. I will start this off. I am boiling Carolina Shrimp.
The group is growing everyday and my money worries are all but gone. The price will remain $60.
Cannot wait!
Bob In VA.

More
15 years 11 months ago #131561 by treeweasel
Replied by treeweasel on topic Re:SPRING CLIMB-IN 08 TANGLEWOOD PARK
Hey Bob,

How did the Tanglewood climb go? I hope very well. The weather here in Indiana was very nice last weekend. I hope it was the same in North Carolina.

Randy

• J~bird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 11 months ago #131576 by J~bird
Replied by J~bird on topic Re:SPRING CLIMB-IN 08 TANGLEWOOD PARK
Well Randy, we had rain and sun, then rain and wind and sun, then rain and wind and thunder and lightning and sun, but it was a great time. The park is aaaaaaaaaamazing!

Check some of the reports and pictures here http://www.treeclimbercoalition.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=542&sid=361f0cd0d1e8289aca57ebdcf18a8a39

I wish I had taken more photos, but these gatherings are too good to watch from behind a lens.

More
15 years 11 months ago - 15 years 11 months ago #131578 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:SPRING CLIMB-IN 08 TANGLEWOOD PARK
Was great to see Treeman at Treestock '08, he was 100% in the spirit. Unfortunately but fortunately I was kidnapped Saturday morning by J~Bird and TreeGal for a hike and climb, and missed climbing with Treeman in the awesomely nasty leaning black oak.

Had some fun with tree measuring gear (rangefinder and clinometer) after Rob pointed out how to change degree/rad modes on my calculator (Duh! No wonder my measurements had been screwed up lately), the big oak where we all descended out in a Bob Wray choreographed tree ballet was 101.12 ft. The Willow Oak by the pavillion came in at 96.4'. Never did get a chance to measure any of the big tulips, they looked to be 125+, maybe one or two in the high 130's.

Was chased out of 4 different trees by incoming weather, but not before some good climbs happened. Had some fun removing two stuck ropes in the dark with lightning bearing down, yipee! Great lesson in staying calm to get things done. Monday morning I got up to see that a river had been running under my tent. All dry inside.

Some good music sessions, next time we got to bring it up into a tree or two.

Was fun cooking for the masses (on Saturday or Sunday morning?), I sent eggs over easy and french toast via Treegal to J~Bird still snoozing in his semi-mobile Tiki Lodge (dude stays up later than I do!)

Thanks to Treeman for making that nice toss into the Willow Oak on Friday night so I could rig my boat. I was pretty much toast after climbing hard all day. Did my first sleepover in a tree, so sweet waking up in the treetops Saturday morning.

Good times all around!
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 11 months ago by moss.

More
15 years 11 months ago #131585 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:SPRING CLIMB-IN 08 TANGLEWOOD PARK
So, and you pictures are posted where?
Do not tell me you did not take any photos!

Thanks Moss for the great report. I will try to attend the next one.
Looking forward to the TCI-25 Anniversary and to the FDR Rendezvous this year.
I better make my airline reservations soon --- Those prices are going thru the canopy!!!!!

More
15 years 11 months ago #131588 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:SPRING CLIMB-IN 08 TANGLEWOOD PARK
My camera stayed in the bag. It was non-stop activity, didn't have a moment to shoot. Didn't intend it that way but that's what happened.
-moss

• bobwray
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 11 months ago #131602 by bobwray
Replied by bobwray on topic Re:SPRING CLIMB-IN 08 TANGLEWOOD PARK
Hi Everyone,
I cannot thank those that attended \"Treestock\" enough! We had a wonderful time and climbed some fantastic trees. And we barely scratched the surface! They gave us over 100 acres at 6 different locations throughout the park. I called all of the park and county officials involved in this event and they were all extremely pleased with us. We have been invited back next YEAR!! I hope to extend the time there on our next visit. I didn't get to climb nearly as much as I had wanted.
I hate to admit it, but I took very few photos myself. Looks like most of us are guilty of that~ We did have 2 videographers there and I hope to get some of that footage for our viewing. I will keep you posted on that.
Please mark your calendars for the same time next year, we will be doing it again!
Thanks again to everyone for pitching in and helping with absolutely everything. What a great bunch of people, it was a pleasure hanging with you all.
Bob In VA.

More
15 years 10 months ago #131680 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:SPRING CLIMB-IN 08 TANGLEWOOD PARK
I\"ll add my vote to it it being a great event. I had wanted to attend Bob's event for years now and it was well worth the time. I too did not take many photos, this time concentrating on having a good time.

Here's what I liked:
1. Great trees. Lots of difficult trees and easy trees too.
2. Privacy. We had the park for ourselves.
3. No official hassles. There were no rangers there telling us how to behave.
4. Good reception from other park people. One of the trees we climbed was next to a golf course. The golfers stopped and talked with us. All smiles.
5. Everyone climbed. It was a self regulated climb and everyone took care of themselves.
6. Clean bathrooms.
7. Good folks all. No jerks and no ego trippers.

Possible room for improvement:
1. Have a chart so climbers could track where individual climbers were located during the day. The place was so big it quickly swallowed up the climbers once they were aloft.
2. Increase attendance. The place was huge and needed more climbers.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds