• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129543 by nickfromwi
The new tree book!!!! was created by nickfromwi
Click to see

I noticed this book a while ago. I was slightly interested. Then I came to the TCI site today and noticed at the top that it said the tree was illustrated by our own Moss!!!!!

Honestly, did you all know this?

So where do I see some illustrations? I found some here http://www.richardpreston.net/books/wt_illustration.html

I'll have to get me a copy of this here book!

Moss- do you mind sharing how you got involved in the illustration of this book?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129544 by moss
Replied by moss on topic The new tree book!!!!

Originally posted by NickfromWI
Honestly, did you all know this?

Only a few new and they didn't know much. I kept it under my hat until the publication date 4/10, didn't want to preempt the Random House release publicity.

I was asked the question of how I become involved on the TCC board, I wrote up a quick answer (as quick as I could), it's a long story. I'm glad to answer further questions on the TCI board
The Wild Trees thread

The TCI board played a pivitol role in my involvement in the book project. The author (Richard Preston) saw my drawings posted on TCI of the "spider rope" he'd described in his Feb. '05 New Yorker article (ironically this is the article that provoked me to start to learn about rec climbing). After a couple of iterations Preston (Gnarl) posted that I'd got it right. a few weeks later he contacted me to discuss working on the book. I still had a ways to go to prove that I could do it. I am not a professional illustrator. It wasn't till mid to late Summer 06 (I think) that I was finally approved as the illustrator by Random House.

It was very challenging, the maps (surprisingly) the most difficult though maps and drawings all had many iterations before final art was delivered.

It was great to get an inside view (as much as I could see) on how a book is written and produced. Preston is an amazingly hard worker who goes all the way to get the most factual detail to support his writing.

The amazing thing is that I feel I know redwoods inside and out and yet have never climbed one :-) My local tall white pines are keeping me happy for now. Looking forward to the Colorado ponderosa in September.
-moss

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129546 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic The new tree book!!!!
Very cool...i have more to say, but I see there is already a thread on it. I'll go there.

How did I miss this?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129547 by nickfromwi
Now I get it...it's on the TCC website!

A Virginian friend of mine told me about this 6 minutes ago...

http://www.wamu.org/programs/dr/

love
nick

More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129548 by moss
I added a few more details to my post above.

Original TCI thread posted by Tree Tramp Dan:
"Book Review"

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129549 by nickfromwi
The TCC site is loading SUUUUUUUUPER slow to me. I'll post the radio interview there in a little bit.

I just heard andrew's name on the radio! Moss is famous!!!

love
nick

More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129550 by moss

The TCC site is loading SUUUUUUUUPER slow to me. I'll post the radio interview there in a little bit.

I just heard andrew's name on the radio! Moss is famous!!!

love
nick

We have to convince Jungle Joe to get a better server for TCC, I think it can only handle one visitor at a time at present :-)

Hey, you've already had way more radio time than I've had! You're more famous, so there! Plus you can splice and I can't.

Another thread on Buzzboard

-moss

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129551 by nickfromwi
You can draw and I can't....

More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129553 by moss

You can draw and I can't....

We're going to have to have a "Drawing IN the Tree" workshop at the Rendezvous, just as long as it doesn't conflict with the splicing workshop, so you can attend...

More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129554 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Climbing with Famous People!
Do you guys mean that I actually have climbed with famous people! That is sooooo cool ! Peter Treman TCI Founder, Nick the Splicer Genius and Now Moss the tree drawings Master. That is just too much for me to handle! Congratulations Moss on a Job well done. I look forward to meet you officially at the 2007 TCI Rendezvous in Colorado.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 2 days ago - 17 years 2 days ago #129557 by nickfromwi

Originally posted by Oldtimer
Congratulations Moss on a Job well done. I look forward to meet you officially at the 2007 TCI Rendezvous in Colorado.

Same here!!!!

love
nick

More
17 years 18 hours ago - 17 years 18 hours ago #129566 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic The new tree book!!!!
Moss, this looks like a great book. Congrats. I'll have to pick up a copy - It's now on sale on Amazon by the way.

In reading the reviews, it got me to thinking: Are we tree climbers all tortured souls, searching for more meaning out of life? Is that why we do this?

Whatever (as Joe would say). Great tree books make me want to saddle up and head out.

More
17 years 16 hours ago - 17 years 16 hours ago #129567 by moss

Originally posted by Ponderosa
In reading the reviews, it got me to thinking: Are we tree climbers all tortured souls, searching for more meaning out of life? Is that why we do this?

The reviewer was a bit overdoing it with the "tortured souls" description. I don't know many (or any) people who have avoided difficult periods in their lives.

We might consider starting a tortured souls tree climbing club but I think it would be self-limiting since it's difficult to stay unhappy in a tree.
-moss

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 11 hours ago - 17 years 11 hours ago #129570 by nickfromwi
I met Richard yesterday! I'll post a pic when I get home.

Karina and I went to a presentation at the downtown LA public library. It was very well presented. First a little interview by some lady that worked at the library, then he gave a slide show presentation showing his adventures in climbing a few of the BIG redwoods.

Then he gave a demonstration of some of the equipment used to climb. That part would not be interesting for anyone on this site, since it was so basic- but it was well recieved by the other attendees of the event.

I think moss must've told him about me being in LA. When I asked him if he wanted to go climbing, he goes, "You're Nick Araya!"

Seems like a nice guy to have representing the climbing world. Karina and I noticed that there was a lot of talk about the most dangerous aspects of climbing, but not much mention about how peaceful and safe it can be.

Other than that, very well presented and sure to drum up a little more interest in his book.

Nice pics, moss!

love
nick

More
17 years 9 hours ago - 17 years 9 hours ago #129571 by moss
Replied by moss on topic NY Times review
Thanks Nick, glad you made it to the book event.

NY Times published this review today:
Where the Redwoods Grow, the Oddballs Also Flourish

I must be a treeclimbing oddball because I didn't think of any of the people in the book as oddballs :-)

Nice comment on the drawings in the review, I think she's the first reviewer to see the published book as opposed to the preview edition which the early reviewers looked at (didn't have final art).
-moss

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds