Sept. 23, 2006 Wilderness Climb at FDR State Park

• wildrice
  • wildrice's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128105 by wildrice
DNR Tree Climbing Rendezvous, with the assistance of Tree Climbing USA, Tree Climber's Coalition and Tree Trek Adventures, will hold the first guided wilderness climb at FDR State Park near Pine Mountain on Saturday, Sept. 23.

FDR State Park is the largest state park in Georgia, with approximately 10,000 acres, and it is deeply rooted in the historical era of four-time President Franklin D.Roosevelt.

This is a free, guided, climb-at-your-own-risk event. It is open to all experienced climbers 15 years old and up who have their own equipment and ropes that meet safety codes. You must pre-register to climb.

Please note that DNR liability forms will need to be completed and turned into Interpretative Ranger Jody Rice (to receive a form please contact Jody Rice at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 706-663-4858; or Bill Maher at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 706-216-1679).

All climbers need to be present no later than 9:45 a.m. at the park office, 2870 Georgia Highway 190 in Pine Mountain, GA 31822.

From Atlanta, go west on Interstate 85 for approximately 52 miles, then south on Interstate 185 toward Columbus for approximately 13 miles. Exit onto Georgia Highway 18 and turn left, then follow the signs for about five miles to F.D. Roosevelt State Park.

Don't be late because we will leave almost immediately for the climbing site. Any late climbers will have to wait for the next wilderness climb to occur at FDR State Park.

Everyone on the wilderness climb should follow the park's policies and procedures on wilderness ethics, no alcohol on park property, etc. There will also be protected species of plants and animals in the areas where we will be climbing.

Remember, please pre-register, please be safe, and please have fun

Mother Earth- Our Most Sacred Heirloom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128142 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic What kind of trees will be climbed?
Tell us a bit about the trees that can be climbed? What length of ropes do we need? Are there trails to the trees? Will the trees be first ascents (wild trees) or prepared trees. What are the cutting ethics if dead wood is encountered on a climb? Helmets I presume are required? Poison ivy in abundance? Rope sleeves required (cambium savers)?

We need to know this information so we can be prepared.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• wildrice
  • wildrice's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128145 by wildrice
This is a Wildness Climb, which means wild trees. Our policies is no cutting, so SRT and DRT may need to be used. Please understand that we manage the area for natural resources. We have programs and research projects in place. We also have protected species and species of concern. So, do not bring saws, pruners, etc. Remember, this is a Wilderness Climb. Thus Wilderness Ethics must be followed.( If we find that trees need to be tamed, then DNR Rangers/Interpretive Volunteers will make them into tame trees when approval has been given)

We will be mostly near trails, so backpacks should be brought. I would suggest a luch as well and water.

One locations is about a 15 to 20 min. hike in, while others are about 30 min. I will have to wait and see how many people we have to deterimine which area/areas we are going too.

Other Wilderness Climbs will include traveling by horse back, and canoe( that we are still developing those)

We will also be in areas that CCC Boys left stuctures as moments of hard times, so if you want a history lesson let me know at the climb.

Type of Trees:

Oaks (mostly White Oaks, but others)
Hickory
Pine (longleaf, etc)
Poplar

We have a tree we call the Tower. The tower has been estimated at a higth of 95ft- 115 ft. It has great branches.

You can say that these trees is going to be their first to time--- To be climbed.

We have enough big trees, so no problem.

If you would like to climb our tame tree, then come to our open climb. I will post a another posting for that.

Things to Note:

We are a IBA (Important Bird Area), so this is great bird watching.

While climbing in this area, I have seen:

Red Foxes
Bobcates
Red Shoulder Hawks
Owls
Deer
Raccoons
ETC.

I do not wish to be blunt, but I want to make sure everyone is on the same page.
I hope this has assited you. Please feel free ask any more questions or conerns. If you like to see some of the trees, then e-mail me and request it. I have photos.

Mother Earth- Our Most Sacred Heirloom

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128152 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Good job!
Thanks for the information. This will help climbers to plan for the event. Telling climbers how long the approach is (the hike in) is especially useful.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds