World's largest 2 trees discovered 7/01/06

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127817 by moss
An exciting post to the Eastern Native Tree Society email list today. On July 1, '06 Michael Taylor and Chris Atkins discovered and have since confirmed (using laser measuring devices) the world record largest 2 trees. These are Coast Redwood in Northern California exceeding the height of the previous record tree by 4 feet. The two record trees measured in at 374.3' and 371.2 with a third tree at 363.4'.

The discovery was additionally notable because the trees are growing on steep slope instead of the flatter terrain that usually produces the giants.

I removed the preachy part of my post about rec climbers being respectful of the record trees and staying away from them. I think that the people involved in discovering and studying these trees are concerned that the trees could become magnets for peak baggers so I'll leave it at that.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127819 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Laser measured trees.
I am glad they found some more tall trees. I question the accuracy of laser measuring tools however. How accurate are they really? My experience with trees measured from the ground have been off by 10 to 15 feet. They were not measured by laser devices I must admit. For me a true measurement is with a climber and steel tape. A telescoping pole finishes the job. Maybe I am just old fashioned or not up to speed with new technology. Maybe I just want to measure those big trees myself. That is probably the real issue here.

Keeping the big tree locations secret is a good idea. Peak bagging the giants is a real threat to these really old trees.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127820 by moss
They're getting very good at measuring with lasers, the techniques are constantly being refined and backed up by climber measurements. A climber in the tree is going to be the most definitive and I agree, I'd rather be up there doing the measuring.

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127821 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Laser Measuring trees
Most of the Engineering Surveying and Measuring of distances and elevation today is being done with laser equipment. As an old school trained "Surveyor" I see how the advancement and accuracy of the new technologies is far better than the suff we used 30-40 years ago. The accuracy is way far better. I do not know what these scientists used but I will trust this better that any measure done with a steel tape. My 2 cent.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127822 by moss
Here is the tree measuring page on the Eastern Native Tree Society web site:
ENTS tree measuring

At least one the people (Robert Van Pelt) who participated in measuring the record redwoods is a member of ENTS and uses related or the same techniques.
-moss

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127825 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic World's largest 2 trees discovered 7/01/06
Moss, do your resources ever end?
A link to a tree measuring template. . . C 0 0 L
You’re like the Leatherman Tool of the TCI forum,
(or maybe a Swiss Army Knife). :)

In other off-topic news. . .
Your addition to the “Who’s Who in Tree Climbing” page is very nice!
LINK: www.treeclimbercoalition.org/whoswho/index.cfm

Hopefully, Tree Climbers Coalition will keep that page up & running. It has always been one of my favorite sources for quick bio information on fellow climbers.

Regards,
Electrojake

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127827 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Who is Who
Electrojake, I am particularly Impressed with Alice Lou's Biography. Quite a Social Climber Lady!

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127842 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic World's largest 2 trees discovered 7/01/06
It's a bit semantics, but it would be interesting to know if these are the tallest and largest or just the tallest. Up until now, the largest by mass were considered the sequoias, Grant, Sherman, etc. and the tallest, the coast redwoods. At a certain height, though, the redwoods could overtake the sequoias as world's largest.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127844 by moss
Good point, I was using (typically) imprecise language to describe the newly discovered Coast Redwood as the "largest" trees, they are the tallest.

I don't think the newly discovered Coast Redwood are going to exceed the volume of the largest Giant Sequoia.

The largest Coast Redwood in total volume as of a few years ago was the Del Norte Titan at 36,890 cubic feet. The largest Giant Sequoia is General Sherman at 55,040 cubic feet. I used Robert Van Pelt's "Forest Giants of the Pacific Coast" as a reference.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds