NO GO!

• SRT-Tech
  • SRT-Tech's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #129123 by SRT-Tech
NO GO! was created by SRT-Tech
went to go tree climbing today, in a local forest in vancouver. Parked the truck, grabbed the gear, walked in a few dozen feet to a BEAUTIFUL 60+ tall silver maple tree. dump my pack at the base walked over to another tree to "water" it, came back put my harness on and then:

"hey, what are you doing?" said the two GVRD (greater vancouver regional district) parks guys (not rangers). I politely replied "recreational tree climbing, using non invasive techniques.". Silence....."are you cutting the trees?" "no" i replied,"i'm recreational tree climbing." . They looked at each other, with a WTF look on their faces, then told me i cant do that. "ok" i said, "i did'nt see anything about in the park rules, and i'm taking the utmost care to leave no footprint or trace". I then walked out ot talk to them some more. i explained my day job, that i'm a treeclimber for a tree company, and that i recreational treeclimb on days off to keep my technique honed.They really wer'nt sure about it, but WERE listening to the description of recreatrional tree climbing. One said "we dont mean to put a damper on your fun, but its a liability issue. your also off the trail, which we cant have". Fair enough, i can understand about the off trail part and liability. I did counter with the fact that this is what i do for a living, and that i'm using professional gear and techniques, including a cambium saver to leave no trace on the tree from the rope. I also told them that i contract out to the Univeristy nearby, installing research instruments in the trees, as well as bat/bird houses. They seemed to relate to that, and the discussion turned to possibly hiring me, as they were swamped with treework, but i stated i did not have the required insurance at this time. They gave me a business card for a contact at the local GVRD office, where i could try to request a permit. I gave them one of my business cards, and told them who i was, and I think they appreciated the professional response and business card. They said sorry again for ruining my fun, i said no problem, i fully understand and will follow up at the office.

still sucks though, over a million trees int hat forest to climb and its right outside my door.

:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #129037 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic NO GO!
EDIT: i'm wondering if any of you have a phamplet or card that you hand out to parks people/rangers etc, explaing our activity....if so can you post it and can i copy it/use it? the parks guys today did'nt really get the whole Recreational Treeclimbing thing....they saw the chainsaw mixoil in my truck and thought i might be cutting wood.....groan....

:(

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #129132 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Tree Pirates
I understand their concern for pulling you out of there. There is a real problem of trees being taken in forest land for a variety of purposes like fire wood and saw timber of rare wood. It is in epidemic proportions in the northwest forest lands. They rarely catch the people that take trees illegally and the gas can in your truck was a huge red flag. Hats off to them for taking the time and nerve (many of the people that take trees pack fire arms) for approaching you.

You did a good job in presenting yourself in a professional way. It appears you made an impression, especially if they asked you to work for them! That is a REAL compliment, believe me.

So you have a unique chance to change things by communication. Use them as a contact and work your way up the chain of responsibility and see if you can get some place. You might remind them that there are probably statue laws that protect them from tree climbing accidents because trees occur naturally, like bodies of water. You don’t see bike riders asking for permission or canoeists either. If users of natural features get hurt they can’t sue because they are natural and there is no enticement to use them, like a sign.

Direct them to treeclimbing.com for extensive tree climbing information. It’s not an instant fix (hand out) for an on site climb but it is better in the long run. It is a place where they can investigate on their own without making spot decisions.

Your job is to keep in communication. Yes, it does take time but it can open many doors for you (and work if you want it) and lead you to many unexpected places. It is worth the effort. What may seem to you now as an impediment might be an extraordinary opportunity.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #129134 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic NO GO!
yea, my truck is totally a work truck, 2 jerrycans, each with "Chainsaw gas 40:1, and Chainsaw 50:1" written on them in Jiffy marker, plus 5 gallons of bar oil and premix oil tucked into the jobrack canister compartment. I also had a Peavy strapped to the rack, no saw though.....i can completely understand them wondering about it....I guess the 3 road cones i put down too (we have bad drivers here) and the yellow strobe on the roof did'nt help :D

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #129143 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic NO GO!
A great thread here!
Every post a gem.
The description of SRT’s truck is nothing short heart warming.
-Ej-

More
2 months 3 days ago #139805 by kinlau
Replied by kinlau on topic NO GO!
Hi guys! I was a tree climber who fled from Hong Kong, and now a new comer to Vancouver. Though I can not be a professional tree climber at the moment, but I tend to search for tree to climb for practicing my skill and enough my favorite sport. But I found that there's no suitable trees to climb in Richmond, place where I live.
At the moment I don't have the full license to drive. And I know nothing about the law of tree in this country, I'm afraid I'll commit the law if I climb.
It's quite sad to read this post, it is not easy to climb trees here. Thank you for your post to tell the truth.:dry:

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds