Tree Climbers Companion

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133420 by Davej
Tree Climbers Companion was created by Davej
I was just looking at this book again this morning after having not looked at it for a few months and a few things seemed a little odd.

1. Where does he first mention the TIP? It doesn't seem to be defined anywhere near the beginning of the book. I see it on p.52. Also while he does suggest wrapping the spar he doesn't actually say that the TIP should always be positioned close to the union.

2. Dynamic vs. static is used in a way that ignores established rock climbing terminology. Also the term DdRT is never used.

3. He says you should be doubly tied in for chainsaw use. How about just any saw use? These new Japanese handsaws would cut a tensioned rope like butter.

4. He talks about ANSI as if it is the golden rulebook and states that it requires 1/2\" or larger rope but then discusses SRT without mentioning that it uses smaller rope.

5. Shouldn't ALT be alternatING lanyard technique? Also he promotes the D.E.L. for this. I'm not sold on that idea without adding a 2nd prusik.

6. He talks about the P.R.E.P. system. Now really, are you going to forget to enter the tree? Are you going to do any of this out of order? Why remember PREP?

7. On p.53 he discusses \"climbing systems\" and there are only two -- traditional or split tail. Uh, shouldn't it be a little broader than that? He mentions footloops back in the section on SRT but on p.34 it is implied that SRT is it's own baby. Otherwise body thrusting is in your future.

8. Is the down-check ever mentioned?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133422 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Tree Climbers Companion
Why all the questions? Dave, you've been around the TCI forum for a long time now. You know all the answers to all the questions you've just asked. All of the answers have been provided here on the forum.

The Companion is one book written on the subject of tree climbing. Keep in mind that one book is just that, ONE book, written by one person. You could write a book too, and there would be terms and techniques in it that others may have never heard of, understand, or agree with.

If I've learned ANYTHING here, it's that there are multiple ways to say/do any one particular thing. The rest is just semantics.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133423 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Tree Climbers Companion
Remember the Tree Climbers Companion book was written by an Arborist to Train \"Arborist Helpers\" It was not written to train Recreational Tree Climbers but we have adopted it to offer new climbers a BASIC set of principles that someone should at least have before they jump into the sport. I read Dick Flowers book first and this book was a lot better and more comprehensive for what I was trying to learn.

New techniques are used in Rec Climbing that are not even mentioned or used by Tree Workers and stuff like being tied twice while using a chain saw is not even incorporated into any REC Climbing Class because we do not think REC Climber should go around doing Arborist work without proper advanced training and supervision. :blush:

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133426 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Tree Climbers Companion

Baker wrote:
The Companion is one book written on the subject of tree climbing. Keep in mind that one book is just that, ONE book, written by one person. You could write a book too, and there would be terms and techniques in it that others may have never heard of, understand, or agree with.

Yes, but this book is considered by many to essentially be the \"Bible\" of tree climbing.
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by Davej.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133427 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Tree Climbers Companion
Davej wrote:

...this book is considered by many to essentially be the \"Bible\" of tree climbing.

That's fine for some, but I don't \"worship\" the trees, I climb them.
The title of the book is ...\"Companion\". I have lots of friends (companions) whom have different ideas - doesn't mean I follow them to the letter either.

Take the book for what it is, a guide to ideas that you may or may not use/need to help you find your own climbing style or technique.

As oldtimer mentioned, this book is geared toward arborists and helpers - serious tree climbers. Does that mean we shouldn't have fun doing what we do?

Winter's over. I've put the books down. I've had plenty of time to read them over and over. Now it's time to climb! ;)
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by Baker.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133430 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Tree Climbers Companion

Baker wrote:
As oldtimer mentioned, this book is geared toward arborists and helpers - serious tree climbers. Does that mean we shouldn't have fun doing what we do?

Well, the book is pretty biblical -- just read the preface. I don't know if that means it implies a stance against anything that might lead to dancing! I wonder if Jeff Jepson participates in any of the online forums?

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133432 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Tree Climbers Companion

Well, the book is pretty biblical -- just read the preface

Well the guy fell from a tree 45 ft up...... I would turn religious after that too! :ohmy:
I think his Exodus quote was just to make a point that he was lucky that day not to preach any belief to anyone.

\"I will have Mercy on who I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.\"

By J.Jepson.
\"As Climbers of trees we live precariously, with a real need to practice safe climbing Techniques\". Speaking from personal experience: It only takes one mistake to hurt a climber seriously. Being there done that.

I still think the book is a great basic introduction for Professional Tree Climbers in a methodical and organized way. I recommend it to all my students to sharpen up their skills prior to climbing and for quick reference after they have taken a formal class.

I also recommend Peter's Video for Rec Climbers. It is a great way to visualize the safety procedures to stay safely in the tree while having fun.
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by oldtimer. Reason: Corrections

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133437 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Tree Climbers Companion
Baker wrote:

...but I don't \"worship\" the trees, I climb them.

Ha ha! I can't help but worship them. It's something about how they support my life while I'm climbing. Not to mention the simple metaphor of climbing upward, concepts like \"higher power\" (the tree is much older and bigger than I am), miracles (how did that throw bag become magically unsnagged from the branch?) and inspiration.

In regard to having consistent terminology between rock climbing and tree climbing (static and dynamic term usage), it just doesn't work. Some have tried to establish common terms across all of the high angle rope disciplines but it falls apart because you need specific language for each, words like static and dynamic have to be \"adjustable\" depending on context per rope discipline.

Tree Climber's Companion just happens to be one of the better books around for general tree climbing fundamentals. As Oldtimer mentioned you have to integrate other sources (Dick Flower's work, Treeman's video etc.) to arrive at a solid rec climbing approach.
-moss
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by moss.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #134770 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Tree Climbers Companion
Found this old discussion...

If I claimed a bible for rope work in general it would be On Rope....it just has so much data.

I would recommend The Working Climber video to anyone. I have learned more tips and tricks from this source than any other.

The Tree Climbers Companion is also one of my 5-6 essential references.

Any other good books to recommend or videos for that matter?
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by greenluck.

More
9 years 7 months ago #136899 by bradypus
Replied by bradypus on topic Re:Tree Climbers Companion
Well that question is 4 years old but maybe better later than never ? ...

Grimper à deux prussiks (climbing with two prusiks) from Hévéa
(allready gived the trailer link today but got to show it here again i guess)

It's in french, music sucks, but it's full of interesting tips.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inspectorgadget

More
9 years 6 months ago #136917 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic Tree Climbers Companion
Another great resource in your climber's library is the TCIA publication, Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture. It's available on Treestuff for $69.95. Well worth it, in my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bradypus

More
5 years 5 months ago #138216 by Shanto52
Replied by Shanto52 on topic Tree Climbers Companion
Discovered this old exchange...
On the off chance that I guaranteed a book of scriptures for rope work when all is said in done it would be On Rope....it simply has so much information.
I would prescribe The Working Climber video to anybody. I have taken in a larger number of tips and traps from this source than some other.
The Tree Climbers Companion is likewise one of my 5-6 fundamental references.
Some other great books to suggest or recordings so far as that is concerned?

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds