What's This Thread All About, Anyway??

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 5 months ago #130800 by treeman
There’s a special kind of language for everything we humans do. When we speak a word, it represents an idea. There are countless dialects we invent for all the things we do. Take climbers for example. There are mountain climbers, rock climbers, indoor wall climbers, boulder climbers, building climbers, and cavers, just to mention a few.

We are tree climbers. But even we tree climbers have different categories of interest. There are recreational climbers, research climbers, wilderness climbers, activists, arborists, tree workers, and foresters. Each category of interest has a distinct vocabulary. The terms that are used are borrowed, copied, invented, or descriptive in nature.

Usage is never static, however. New terms arise as tree climbing techniques and ideas change and old terms fall out of use. It can even be regional in nature. We intend for this forum to be a place to explore the meanings of words in a tree climber’s vocabulary. The point is to get clarity on the words we use by generating a discussion about them.

Please use the following format when opening up a new word discussion. It makes for a quicker reference, sort of like a dictionary or glossary of terms. Here are the headings with the descriptions of each heading for reference.

Word or term: What is the word or term?

Interest group: Recreational, research, activism, wilderness climbing, arboriculture, tree work, forestry.

Origin: Do you know where the term comes from, or who was it borrowed or copied from?

Meaning: What does the word or term mean to you in reference to tree climbing? (It may mean something totally different to somebody else!) Use this heading to explain why you’re starting a conversation about this particular word or term.

Let's see what we come up with!

Yours waving from a treetop,

Peter \"Treeman\" Jenkins

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins
The following user(s) said Thank You: bradypus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #130869 by elliotsu
Replied by elliotsu on topic Vocabulary for International tree climbers
Peter,
For climbers who cames form other country,English is not so easy to understanding.
Since I learn tree climbing,I never translate all the shout commend into Chinese language in Taiwan.because the international tree climbers should be have everyone understanding all the tree climbing vocabulary/language what he is shouted.
At the same reason,I will recommend the tree climbing vocabulary are not too complicate to understanding.
When I was in Atlanta,the vocabulary people speaking are with many slang that I never understand.and I can't check the slang in the dictionary.
So,the slang for me is just like a language from Mars.

Please make the tree climbing vocabulary easy to recognize and easy understand.
Appreciate.

Elliot / Tree Climbing Taiwan

Elliot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds