Hanging in Lanyard hurts if clipped into side loop

• Jan
  • Jan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #138224 by Jan
I climb SRT on a RAD system. If I want to advance my tie-in point without standing on a branch, I need to hang in my lanyard. if I attach it in my side-Ds my harness (skylotec record) hurts my hips or my ribcage. Is this normal, or is this a problem caused by the harness not adjusted properly/ designed poorly?

I usually solve the problem by clipping the lanyard into my main loop, but having 4 carabiners in my main loop is very annoying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #138228 by moss

Jan wrote: I climb SRT on a RAD system. If I want to advance my tie-in point without standing on a branch, I need to hang in my lanyard. if I attach it in my side-Ds my harness (skylotec record) hurts my hips or my ribcage. Is this normal, or is this a problem caused by the harness not adjusted properly/ designed poorly?

I usually solve the problem by clipping the lanyard into my main loop, but having 4 carabiners in my main loop is very annoying.

You got some good answers to this question on TreeBuzz. I implement my lanyard or short rope on a central attachment point if my feet aren't on the tree. Side D's not intended to hang off of when your feet are not transferring your body weight to the tree.

A few different ways to reduce carabiner clutter on your central attachment point. For your lanyard if you add a two or three hole pulley to your lanyard you can clip the end carabiner from over the limb to an available pulley opening. This means you only have one carabiner from the lanyard attaching to your harness.

This is an example of a lanyard I built using a DMM Hitchclimber Pulley, just one carabiner attaches to the central attachment point:

-AJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds