Creaking?

• tmaclean
  • tmaclean's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 9 months ago #138139 by tmaclean
Creaking? was created by tmaclean
Are creaking noises bad? My daughter was on a pretty decent branch on a healthy-looking tree and I kept hearing these
creaking noises. Do new ropes creak? The branch wasn't even remotely moving under her weight. I had chosen a big branch I thought (and still think) could support us both in case I needed to rescue her.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tmaclean
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 9 months ago #138140 by tmaclean
Replied by tmaclean on topic Creaking?
On a different tree, today, I don't think I heard any creaking, so I'm guessing it was the branch.

More
5 years 8 months ago #138181 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Creaking?
Creaking is usually two tree parts rubbing. Cracking is a tree part failing ;-) When I’m preparing to climb a tree or in a tree and hear creaking I try to locate the source of the noise to determine whether or not there is a problem I need to be aware of. Rubbing limbs are fairly common and they’re like a hump-backed whale calling, the sound travels great distance and it’s difficult to isolate where it’s coming from.
-AJ

More
5 years 8 months ago #138182 by moss
Speaking of which, my top two favorite sounds made by tree wood are:
2. The sound of a dead tree going over and taking out three other trees while I was tree hammock camping in the woods. Sounded like a slow motion train wreck.
1. In 5 degree f. air temperatures, the sound of booming vertical cracks occurring in beech trunks, very musical.
-AJ

• tmaclean
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 8 months ago #138184 by tmaclean
Replied by tmaclean on topic Creaking?
I had a look at that tree again, and I'm pretty sure there are no branches touching. If I remember the sound would happen now and again ("pong" ....then a minute later ... "pong"). In any case, we have found a better tree that we can climb together, so I won't climb this one again.

More
5 years 8 months ago #138185 by moss

tmaclean wrote: I had a look at that tree again, and I'm pretty sure there are no branches touching. If I remember the sound would happen now and again ("pong" ....then a minute later ... "pong"). In any case, we have found a better tree that we can climb together, so I won't climb this one again.

But but but... pong-ing isn't creaking ;-) The mystery deepens. It would be worth recording the sound if you can recreate it. I'm intrigued.
-AJ

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds