Releasable ground anchor

• Keokas
  • Keokas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago #137545 by Keokas
Releasable ground anchor was created by Keokas
In some cases changing from SRT to DRT during a climb is a good option. I would like to learn to make a ground anchor that I could release from up the tree, without help from a ground person.

A safe way of doing that would be my next step learning more about tree climbing.

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #137548 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Releasable ground anchor
The safest way to do it is tie your rope in a continuous loop and create a "knot blocker" tied to the base of the tree, take a look at this thread on treebuzz, you'll see a few different approaches.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/releasable-trunk-anchor.31508/

-AJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keokas

• Keokas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #137549 by Keokas
Replied by Keokas on topic Releasable ground anchor
Good information and cool videos, thank you!

The version with an Alpine Butterfly (and a pulley) looks pretty safe and doable. It can't open by mistake. Must try it soon.

For Mr. moss' version with 3-stage slip knot I still need to figure out, how to tie that knot. With a quick search, I didn't find advice for that yet. Must keep on searching... Looks very good anchor too but must be done right (like everythng in climbing), of course.

Edit: Found the example tying the knot. Now just need to learn it properly, also upside down.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Keokas. Reason: Additional information

More
8 years 5 months ago #137550 by moss
Yeah, I haven't made my releasable anchor easy to find. It's an advanced technique, if not done correctly could be very dangerous. I'm not comfortable with anyone trying this who doesn't have years of climbing experience. Could you contact me with the private messaging tool to discuss further?
-AJ

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #137551 by moss
Just a heads up... what I did for many years and still do from time to time is to carry two ropes for a tall tree climb. One would be 200' of 10mm Sterling, the other would be 60' of an 11mm arborist rope. The 200' foot rope would be basal anchored for SRT access/ascent. I'd tail the 60' rope up and use it to climb DRT once I was up in the tree. The 200' rope would be left in place. When I was ready to exit the tree I'd descend out on the 200' rope. This is an effective way to climb tall trees and offers more flexibility than a releasable anchor setup.

One of the downsides of a releasable system is you have a lot of rope weight to drag around the tree when you switch from SRT to DRT. Nothing is perfect in tree climbing.
-AJ
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by moss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keokas

• Keokas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago #137552 by Keokas
Replied by Keokas on topic Releasable ground anchor

moss wrote: Yeah, I haven't made my releasable anchor easy to find. It's an advanced technique, if not done correctly could be very dangerous. I'm not comfortable with anyone trying this who doesn't have years of climbing experience. Could you contact me with the private messaging tool to discuss further?
-AJ

I understand your concern. I would like very much to discuss more.
*pm sent*

More
8 years 2 months ago #137592 by yoyoman
Replied by yoyoman on topic Releasable ground anchor
It's not hard to set uo but I seldom find the need with other options, converting base to canopy in the tree, retrivable canopy anchors, SRT to DdRT climbing technique and so many others. Take the tail and release the base like you do a canopy anchor.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds