Minimalist Hikers Fun Pack

• Culinarytracker
  • Culinarytracker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 3 months ago #132847 by Culinarytracker
Minimalist Hikers Fun Pack was created by Culinarytracker
So I've been playing with all this exciting new stuff (I'm driving my friends and family nuts) and I've came up with another complete climbing style.

Lets say you're going on a hike, and want to keep the three dimensional movement going on in the woods. I found that my new lanyard, a webbing loop, and a couple carabiners and a harness are all I need.

My lanyard is 25', so as long as there is a branch within 12 feet of my waist, I can get to that branch. Around here, most climbing can be done without making many advancements more than 12 feet away anyway. The webbing loop allows me to secure myself while I am resetting my lanyard.

I am perfectly comfortable hiking and such in my Tengu saddle. When tied up properly, my lanyard fits in my camelback, and webbing runners fit anywhere. I can do a lot of safe climbing with this simple and highly mobile setup.

Once today I even found that when my lanyard just isn't long enough, I can use the webbing slings to add a little more length to the whole system. I am just using a 26 & 36 inch runner now, But on Christmas day I'll get a 48\" dyneema runner, and that will add much more to this lightweight hiking system.

I think I've heard similar concepts described before. I think it's exciting knowing I can leave the big heavy climb line home and still have a lot of fun while spending a day in the woods.

Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #132849 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Minimalist Hikers Fun Pack
I do something similar for lightweight minimal climbs. I'll use an NT Basic harness and a 60 ft. lanyard. A loop runner is very good for backing up while you advance the TIP in minimal style. You can find gradients of effectiveness for different height trees using minimal approaches. For instance with a 120 ft. rope you can still access very tall trees if you can isolate the branch and cinch the rope for SRT ascent.
-moss

More
14 years 10 months ago #133734 by mrand
Replied by mrand on topic Re:Minimalist Hikers Fun Pack
what do you mean by this moss

\" For instance with a 120 ft. rope you can still access very tall trees if you can isolate the branch and cinch the rope for SRT ascent.
-moss\"

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #133735 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Minimalist Hikers Fun Pack
mrand wrote:

what do you mean by this moss

\" For instance with a 120 ft. rope you can still access very tall trees if you can isolate the branch and cinch the rope for SRT ascent.
-moss\"

Do you understand methods for anchoring a rope for single rope climbing (SRT)?

(Just checking before I launch into a lengthy description, need to know what you know.)
-moss
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by moss.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds