• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132658 by Davej
Advancing a Lanyard? was created by Davej
Wouldn't a throwbag be the best method?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #132661 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Advancing a Lanyard?
Davej wrote:

Wouldn't a throwbag be the best method?

I use a monkey fist or place by hand. The nature of a lanyard is that it's going to be moved up fairly short distances. If I want to make a big move going up I'll tie in with my lanyard or the other end of my main rope and use my throw bag to advance my climbing rope.
-moss

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #132665 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Advancing a Lanyard?
Yes, I've seen where you describe tying a monkeys fist over a carabiner, but doesn't that take over a minute to tie? I was just wondering about a special throwbag for a lanyard end. Might just be a little heavier with a padded cuff to hide the carabiner or end-knot?
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by Davej.

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #132667 by moss
Davej wrote:

Yes, I've seen where you describe tying a monkeys fist over a carabiner, but doesn't that take over a minute to tie? I was just wondering about a special throwbag for a lanyard end. Might just be a little heavier with a padded cuff to hide the carabiner or end-knot?

Takes about 5 seconds to tie the fist on a lanyard end. It's a loose affair, just put enough wraps around the biner to get the weight you want. You can put a throw bag on the carabiner on the end of the lanyard and use that to get oomph in your throw.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by moss.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132669 by Davej
Ok, so in five seconds it isn't a real monkeys fist. But still you use up rope, so then it might end up being too short.

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #132670 by moss
Davej wrote:

Ok, so in five seconds it isn't a real monkeys fist. But still you use up rope, so then it might end up being too short.

There are at least 3 ways to tie a Monkey Fist, probably several more than that. I use a 20 ft. lanyard so I adjust my expectations accordingly as far as what TIP I want to reach. Do what you need to do to make it work :)
-moss

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #132671 by moss
If you have Jepson's 'The Tree Climber's Companion' look at page 31, I use the \"open form\" throwing knot aka Monkey Fist for lanyard throws. With a little practice it is very quick to tie. Usually I hold the throwing knot like a baseball and just toss it towards the target. If I want more leverage for a higher throw I swing it.
-moss

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132683 by Davej
Ok, but since you have throwbags with you anyway, what about an adapter cuff?

More
15 years 5 months ago #132685 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Advancing a Lanyard?
If I am advancing a short distance something like 8 to 12 up or less I just tie one of the large throw bags to the end of the rope with a mini-binner (key chain type) and use that to send the end of the line over the next available TIP. In the pines case that Moss mentioned the advancements are even shorter distance so you are just basically installing the rope or lanyard over the next branch near your arm and moving (walking) up among the branches almost like free climbing but you are actually using your gear as safety back up to prevent an accidental drop in case a branch breaks or some other problem like a slip, etc. Do whatever it works as far as it keeps the climber safely attached to either the main climbing line or the lanyard at all times.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132696 by Davej
oldtimer wrote:

If I am advancing a short distance something like 8 to 12 up or less I just tie one of the large throw bags to the end of the rope with a mini-biner (key chain type)

That sounds pretty good. I just enjoy over-analyzing (engineer-nerd). My other idea is a weighted sleeve-cuff that could remain on the lanyard.

What about those double-ended lanyards of yours? Do you use those for free-climbing or do you climb troublesome trees?

More
15 years 5 months ago #132698 by moss
Davej wrote:

...My other idea is a weighted sleeve-cuff that could remain on the lanyard.

That sounds interesting. One thing to consider. There are times when you are pulling your lanyard back through a crotch and there is a very good chance that your biner or even the knot holding the biner (or snap) will hang. When I think this might happen, I take the biner off and pull out the knot so only a clean rope end has to come back over the branch. At the least you don't want your cuff to increase the chance that your lanyard will get hung when you're pulling it back, and that it's quick to install and de-install on the lanyard.
-moss

More
15 years 4 months ago #132699 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Doble ended Lanyard Uses

What about those double-ended lanyards of yours? Do you use those for free-climbing or do you climb troublesome trees?

My lanyard is always there in the saddle so I use it whenever I have a chance, during switch overs, every time I am messing around with the main climbing line, while cutting or removing a branch, to stabilize myself while making a second throw in the tree, if I am not confident of the TIP ( just to make sure), while exploring around limb walking away from the trunk or returning back, to redirect away from an obstacle on my way up or down, moving in a new direction in the tree away from the main life line and for sure every time I will connect and test a new TIP if for any reason it fails I am still safely tied to the tree. Sometimes I just have an anxious moment in a climb and feeling the extra protection working releases all the fear factors. So as you can see I am a firm believer in having a lanyard and using it regularly. :laugh:

More
15 years 4 months ago #132705 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Re:Doble ended Lanyard Uses
I'm with OT, my lanyard is always on my harness.

My harness consists of:

Harness
Lanyard
Two slings with biners
Small first aid kit

None of these pieces are individuals, they're part of a whole.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132707 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Doble ended Lanyard Uses
oldtimer wrote:

So as you can see I am a firm believer in having a lanyard and using it regularly. :laugh:

Oh I have no doubts about lanyards. I just wondered when you would actually alternate ends on your double-ended lanyard.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds