TIP

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132068 by Davej
TIP was created by Davej
Ok, I apologize for these lame questions and comments... but...

TIP = \"tie in point\"

...But isn't that a term more appropriate for SRT? I mean for DdRT/dynamic/2:1 climbing isn't the \"tie in point\" really the spot on the ground where you tie in? That spot up on the limb would be the \"SP\" or \"slip point\" or something like that. No? You don't like that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132070 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:TIP
Davej wrote:

... I mean for DdRT/dynamic/2:1 climbing isn't the \"tie in point\" really the spot on the ground where you tie in?

DdRT is usually 1:1. Every inch if rope you pull down makes you go up 1 inch.

Since I'm already posting I will add this...

You're trying to reinvent the wheel. What does it matter if it's called a TIP, SP, anchor or a bologna cheesecake point? You know what the author of the book was talking about and you are just a beginner. You drive on a parkway and park in a driveway too, but I don't see a big push to change that. names are just names. After you've been climbing for a while you'll realize that you don't even thing of knots, anchors, and gear by their names. You'll associate them with the job(s) they can be used for.

You seem really enthused about our sport, and thats great, but relax. Learn what you can, ask questions (without trying to make things seem like things are being done wrong just because you may not understand them at first), and above all, enjoy the climbing. Get out there and try the basic things like throwing a line and practicing the knots.
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Baker.

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132077 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:TIP
Thanks for the responses Baker. This board seems lightly populated and you are one of the few here willing to waste time on a noob. Actually I think that if you pull your own DdRT rope one inch yourself, relative to yourself, then you go up only 1/2 inch relative to the ground. Go ahead and check me on this. Is that 2:1?

I'm rather hung on on the terminology right now because I'm dependent on text. I want to use the correct terms and I want to understand what is being said here and elsewhere. If TIP implies SRT then I want to know that. Also if \"Tying in\" has little to do with TIP then I want to understand that. This is the stuff I need to understand. I'm not going to get any personal instruction; so if I don't understand something someone here says, it's possible it just might matter.

More
15 years 5 months ago #132090 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Re:TIP
Seeing new climbers with confidence to ask questions tells me that they'll be old climbers someday.

Knowing that you don't know will keep you alive.

There are plenty of terms in common use that could be better but have become so common that it is too hard to change the term.

TIP means the same thing in SRT as DdRT. That is the place where the climber's rope is supported. In either climbing system the climber's rope may go over more than on limb. In that case it's generally accepted that the higher TIP is THE tip.

Don't get too hung up on terms. The best way to learn about terms is to have Google direct you on a rewarding search. one of the wiki's will help too.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds