How is a grappling hook used?

• 2DTop
  • 2DTop's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #131653 by 2DTop
How is a grappling hook used? was created by 2DTop
Hello all,
I've heard about a grappling hook being used in conjunction with climbing and particularly traversing. I know there must be some trick here so maybe somebody could explain it. Thanks.
Chuck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #131654 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:How is a grappling hook used?
If you get the Tree Climbers Companion book or one of Sherrils Catalogs there are photos to show the tecnique. You basically use it to reach the other end of the rope or throw line in a DRE situation while trying to advance your climb either higher up in the tree or across to a nearby tree while setting up your next TIP.

• 2DTop
  • 2DTop's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #131655 by 2DTop
Replied by 2DTop on topic Re:How is a grappling hook used?
Thanks for the response Oldtimer. I read and then lost Treeclimber's Companion a couple years ago but don't recall anything about grappling hooks. I was just concentrating on the basics back then. Also I downloaded Sherrill's 2008 catalog and searched all through it and could find nothing. Would you mind elaborating on it a little? Thanks.
Chuck

More
15 years 10 months ago #131657 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:How is a grappling hook used?
In rec climbing a mini-grapple hook is often used. New Tribe offers one called the King Grapnel , they have a good explanation of how its used.
-moss

More
15 years 10 months ago #131658 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:How is a grappling hook used?
If you throw your weight and line across to a new TIP and the weight comes down in front of you but away from your reach by hand you can deploy your grapple (tied to a short rope) or one called a Retreever ( See it in the Gear Review Area). So this tool allows you to grab the throw line, install the rope to it and pull it over the new TIP, re-set your line conections, test it and move on up or across depending of where you are trying to go in the tree.

More
15 years 10 months ago #131667 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic How I use my grapnel hook-
Grapnel Use

Here is how I use my Grapnel hook to retrieve a throwbag that is over a new tie in point.
The throwline has to be advanced so that the bag is almost the same length over the TIP as the distance away from you. It will many tries and best practiced on the ground.

On the line in your hand tie the hook on with a girth hitch and let it swing down toward the bag. You are trying to snag the line near the bag so that you can pull it back to you so there has to be no obstacles in the way.
Or you can toss the hook with a curving throw to try and snag it back to you but beware of all of the many things that will want to eat your hook and no give it back to you.

I have used to retreive rope; backpacks; etc left on the ground or dropped by accident.

Another tech tip for TIP changes is the boomerang throw where you toss the bag over the target at a high speed just above it and at exactly the right time stop the line so the bag will come back to you. I have seen Tengu and Tom Dunlap work the bag back and forth and it seems like it is magic.

See you at the top,

Dan

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds