• charlieb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 4 days ago - 17 years 4 days ago #129431 by charlieb
Throwline and knots was created by charlieb
Hi Boys!
We're baaaaack!!
Well after a couple of tumultuous years, I'm trying to get back into the trees. First we dealt with Katrina down here around New Orleans, then trying to survive my business, then being forced to cut trees for a temporary living, then going through a divorce, and so now there is only one way to go and that is up! Thank God at least the storms are over, for now.
Soooo, anyway, I figured to start at the beginning, and ask yous guys:
1) What's your favorite throwline? (for either tree entry or hand throws w/in the tree)
2) Anybody know the difference between Zing-it and Fling-it? From the little I know, I think that both are Spectra and Fling-it is newer, has a slightly square shape, very slick and sold by Wespur.
3) What's your favorite knot or way to attach the throwline to the rope?
4) Do you bag or spool your line after the throw? --What's the neatest or quickest you've found?
Thanks so much and it's great to be back!
Charlie.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 4 days ago - 17 years 4 days ago #129432 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Throwline and knots
Charlie,

Welcome back to the forum. It's good to see that things are turning around enough that you can engage a wonderful activity.

With respect to throwline, I go low tech and cheap. One of these days, I'll invest in the better engineered stuff. As part of my low tech pursuits, I was able to fashion a connector that will attach a potato to a throwline. Et voila, you have a biodegradable throw weight - and cheap. I also have biodegradable line on my radar.

Because I'm not targeting the highest setpoints, I can get away with less efficient 1/8in nylon line.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 4 days ago - 17 years 4 days ago #129433 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Throwline and knots
I like slickline, although i'm gettting some Ziiiing-It in the next few weeks.

I flake the line into a stiff sided round cordura bucket, that way it pays out cleanly wiithout tangling.

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 4 days ago - 17 years 4 days ago #129434 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Throwline and knots
JimK, thanks. --Why a potato? Are you serious? Aren't you afraid it might "splat" :D against a limb?--sorry, couldn't help to ask this. But really, it would seem too fragile and not enough weight for its size. Have you tried this yet and do you see any advantages?
Does your nylon line feed over the branch well enough to drop a normal weight? --Does it take a little more weight to bring it down?
How do you tie the weight to the t-line? --girth?,buntline? anchor?, pile?
SRT --Is your bucket small enough to carry on your saddle? --It seems to hold quite a bit of stuff. --Or is it better for ground work?
What knots do ya'll use to attach it to the rope?

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
17 years 4 days ago - 17 years 4 days ago #129435 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic Throwline and knots
I began using the pile hitch about 1-1/2 years ago (thanks, Harry) and have never looked back.

Peace.

Jim

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 4 days ago - 17 years 4 days ago #129436 by charlieb
Thanks JimW.
Do you put only the pile or do you put several half-hitches above it to help feed the line over a crotch?
Does the pile stay tight?
Jim what's your throw method?--if you don't mind sharing. :D
Do youz guys re-stuff a throwbag in the tree after each throw or do you spool your line?-etc?
What do you do if you're in the tree and can't reach the next limb up with a hand toss? --Anybody?
Thanks,
Charlie Brown.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
17 years 4 days ago - 17 years 4 days ago #129437 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Throwline and knots
I use 1.75mm zingit, tied to a 10oz weight with a clove hitch. If there's a good chance of getting the weight stuck I'll tie a slippery clove hitch with a short tail because with enough tugging I can usually pull the knot out and free the line.

I use a Falteimer Cube to hold my line, which is a ridiculously expensive container, but it is by far the best tool I have found for my job and it saves me a lot of headaches so I'm happy to pay for it.

More
17 years 4 days ago - 17 years 4 days ago #129439 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Throwline and knots

Originally posted by charlieb

1) What's your favorite throwline? (for either tree entry or hand throws w/in the tree)
2) Anybody know the difference between Zing-it and Fling-it? From the little I know, I think that both are Spectra and Fling-it is newer, has a slightly square shape, very slick and sold by Wespur.
3) What's your favorite knot or way to attach the throwline to the rope?
4) Do you bag or spool your line after the throw? --What's the neatest or quickest you've found?
Thanks so much and it's great to be back!
Charlie.

Fave throwline: 1.75mm Zing it, pink.

Zing-It is dyneema/spectra made by samson. It's quite round, considering it's size. Fling-It is a very square line that is made by Atlantic Braids, marketed in the US via All-gear.

Attachment techniques? I splice a loop on the end of the throwline. Throw the line up, then when it comes down, I just clip my line to the metal ring of the throwbag and haul it all back over. If I am setting the friction saver from the ground, the spliced eye will get attached to the line via a pile hitch followed by one half hitch.

I also use the Faltheimer. I think maybe it has no faults. If the ground is twiggy, I'll restuff into the Faltheimer before each shot, otherwise is stays on the ground. Oh...I mean..."I always hit it on the first shot!" :D

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129441 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Throwline and knots
hi Charli-B, my cordura bucket is for ground work. In the trees i use a big rock climbers chalk bag for in tree use.

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 3 days ago - 17 years 3 days ago #129442 by charlieb
Leon or Nick, Where can one see a Faltheimer cube?
Leon, how does the slippery clove hitch work? Does it come loose by pulling on the standing part of the line or do you pull on the tail? If you pull on the standing part, then does it ever come loose when throwing?
What do you do if you're in the tree and can't reach the next limb up with a hand toss? --Anybody?
Thanks all.
Charlie Brown.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
17 years 2 days ago - 17 years 2 days ago #129447 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Throwline and knots
You can chech out the cube on Sherrill's web site. I had bought sherrill's version of it being they were only $12 but it only took a few months to realize that the f-cube was worth the money.

Keep a throw weight on your saddle for out of reach throws. You can hit 20-30ft just attaching a throw weight to your climbing line. I use to bring up a small bag with a throwline for really big trees but the hassle of messing with a throwline in the tree can really suck.

See you at the top.

More
17 years 2 days ago - 17 years 2 days ago #129449 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Throwline and knots
Here's the F-cube.

https://ecomecs.securesites.com/cgi-bin/frescoarborist/catalog.cgi?view&WC1026767498-35889&WSC1029184062-32559&1127404004-43417

More
17 years 2 days ago - 17 years 2 days ago #129450 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Throwline and knots
If you can't make the toss from up in the tree by hand, you'll have to bring something up the tree to help. I've brought the big shot up in some sequoia's once. You might check out JimK's little invention.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 2 days ago - 17 years 2 days ago #129451 by charlieb
Thanks Climber020, Leon and Nick.
All great ideas. I'll be getting a F-cube and trying different throw methods as you all suggested.
I'll let ya'll know if I find some method to be more efficient or preferable than another.
I am also already checking out JimK's and Treetramp's inventions to help assist the power and accuracy of the throw within the tree.
God bless,
Charlie.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds