REDIRECT RIGGING

• michaelfarley
  • michaelfarley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128922 by michaelfarley
REDIRECT RIGGING was created by michaelfarley
I am used to DdRT when going way out on a limb for tree care. I have never used a sling with a pulley, clevis or carabiner for a false crotch while in DRT. To be quite honest it sets up a fear in me. My concern is that my rope being "stuck" in a device seems to reduce an escape route. I would much rather unclip quickly and prey for the best on the long swing, hopefully not becoming one with the stalk. What are your thoughts and experiences?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128931 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic On using Re-directs
I use them a lot in my trees. I tie as high as posible and I can re-clip on a redirect and move in another direction. The only problem is that you have to retrace your route in order to remove the straps and biners on the way back down. You learn to feel confident on the re-directs specially if you are doing work on the tree. Good luck.

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128932 by moss
Replied by moss on topic REDIRECT RIGGING
Why not set the other end of your rope instead of a redirect. That way you can double crotch and greatly reduce the danger of unexpected swing to the trunk. It will give you more stability as well on the outer branches. The other advantage is that you can take the second setting out without climbing back up to it (what a redirect requires). Nick has been playing around with a redirect that can be released "remotely", don't know what the latest is on that.
-moss

• michaelfarley
  • michaelfarley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128934 by michaelfarley
Replied by michaelfarley on topic REDIRECT RIGGING
That method works well for me Moss of double crotching. I feel as though i have an out. I definately need to try redirect with a sling regardless to experience it. I imagine one could remove the sling remotely if one were in DdRT and had a pole clip (i'm an arborist) or other extension. Tie in for safety and remove rope from sling and pull out redirect. Seems to get annoying though because who wants to lug that much more into the tree when your there for recreation, peace, connection etc...

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds