knot in the middle of srt line

• ziontree
  • ziontree's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128538 by ziontree
knot in the middle of srt line was created by ziontree
wesjones.com/climbing1.htm

'Sillett, up in the tree, tied a knot near the middle of the black rope, and then anchored the knot around a branch, so that both ends of the black rope hung down along different sides of the tree. Antoine and I would simultaneously climb up the opposite ends of the rope.'

Just wondering what sort of knot he would use. Hardware involved?
Anyone done this before?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128539 by moss
Replied by moss on topic knot in the middle of srt line
Cool technique and an interesting problem. I've never done it but I can imagine tying two butterfly knots at the center of the rope, separate them by a little less then the diameter of the limb, put them under the limb, run both ends of the rope over the top of the limb in opposite directions, drop the ends down through the loops on the opposite butterflies and let the ends run to the ground (on two sides of the tree).

This uses two knots not one of course. Each leg of the rope is independently locked if one side of the rope fails. You could also put two or three wraps around the limb before putting the ends through the butterfly loops. Also could add a screwlink on each butterfly bight and run the rope ends through those if you don't like rope on rope for an SRT anchor.

It could be done with a clove hitch, but that would be dubious security if the rope failed on one leg.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds