What do you use for your termination knot for SRT?

• dude512
  • dude512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127621 by dude512
Howdy,

Just looking to see what most folks are using for their termination knot when climbing SRT.

Specifically, what knot do you use to connect the screw link to the rope?

I have been using the figure 8 and tying the tail in a double grapevine.

Does anybody use the triple fishermans?

Also, this seems a good place to put a thimble. When I climb up there it looks like the rope is really bending hard over the screw link. Anybody else regularly use a thimble on your termination knots?

Later

Bakes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127622 by moss
For termination on the support branch I'm using a Running Bowline with a Yosemite Tie-Off. I'm not using a screwlink, trying to keep extra components and weight down. Good question, curious to see what others prefer.

More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127623 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic What Knot to use on SRT?
Since my trees are so short ( less than 80 feet tall) I usually tie back around the base of the tree with a figure 8 and a carabineer ( in case someone needs to rescue me!)
We used a similar set up in Oregon last year using a nylon runner to go around the next tree over. The lowest branch there was about 100 feet up and we were using a 240 feet long rope for the first entry, them changing to individual ropes for the second pitch in the upper part of the tree.

More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127624 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic OLD TIME MATH
Two things...

1. No hard link in a Noose system is kindy of iffy in my book, though lots do it with no issue. I was always told no rope on rope connections.

2. When looping up and back and connecting to the base of the tree (or even another tree) you double the load on the anchor branch. Be cautious about limb selection in that configuration...

Just my two pennies.

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• scottdb
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127625 by scottdb
I have acouple of comments.

I tie off with a bowline/yosemite tie off. I use it because it is easy to untie. Tom D says that termination knots like a half fishermans are the favorite of safety rule makers. After 35 years of technical climbing I like knots that I can untie easily.

IMO there is no need for a back up hitch with a figure eight knot unless it is to keep the tail out of your way.

Whether you use a noose to anchor a single rope or not you still need a rope that is twice the heightof your anchor. I think that having the rope anchored to allow lowering a climber stuck on the rope from the ground is a great safety feature.

This is especially good if your rope is three times the height of the anchor branch (allowing a set up of your access line through a belay device to be already in place). If all you have is a second rope available to use as an extension and the skills to rig it you can still quickly set up an emergency lower to the ground.

The load doubling effect should be kept in mind.

To conserve rope I like to use a sling or cordlet as the actual anchor around the base of the climbing tree or other nearby tree.

Ichabod's comment about safety of a running bowline using only rope being iffy is nothing I've ever heard before. It should be just as safe as a hard link. Arborists commonly lower heavy loads using a running bowline.

Well I blabbed away instead of my usual lurking...Scott

More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127626 by moss
Three cheers for doing a little blabbing Scott!

More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127629 by Tom Dunlap
It's nice to see my brudda Scott without his 'cloak' on :)

In the new version of the Z133, which only applies to pro tree climbers, any rope termination onto a hardlink when used for body support a cinch-type connection is required.

My favorite is a double overhand. it's compact and snug. I've used it in a running configuration when space is critical too.

If you use a DOh, i don't know if I like the look of that abbreviation...it's a bit Homeresque, don't you think? :)...anyway...Be careful when you use it on screwlinks. If the DOH isn't dressed and snugged around the bite thescrewlink can worm it's way inside the round turns and pry the DbOh open.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127635 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Please Elaborate
OK Guys,
Y'all correct me if I'm wrong. And I should clarify "iffy", I mean that I have been taught to not choke with a rope eye. The explination (I spelled that wrong didn't I?) is that there is greater possibility for damage to the rope in the area of rope on rope contact. I was taught to introduce a "hard link" into the system.

I've done it several times (rope eye cinch for a SRT climb, and felt really uncomfortable), so I expressed my concern based on my training and personal comfort level. Of course, my discomfort may come from poor information in this case, but I'll leave that to the professionals to correct or verify. So the question is, Rope on Rope contact (particularly when motion is involved) {and I realize as I write this that when loaded the motion within the cinch is very limited}, should it be avoided or not?

As to Tom's last comment, so as far as the Z is concerned you guys are limited to a girth hitch (using spliced eye? using eye formed with a loop knot?) or a noose type knot like the DOh? Where does a clove (when used at the bridge connection in a DRT) come in?

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
11 years 11 months ago #135785 by johnmc
I like the comments alot of good tips. I just started for a company and we use the running bowline for piecing down big branches and to comealong trees down it works good. we also normally throw a figure 8 know at the tailend just to be safe. i'm just learning my knots and i'm going to try the bowline with yosemite tie off and turn it into running bowline with yosemite tie off then a figure 8. probably a little excessive, but seems it would be safer than regular running bowline.

More
11 years 9 months ago #135822 by cartertrojan
Replied by cartertrojan on topic Re: Please Elaborate
I would like to know if this is acceptable as well. I have been using a figure 8 follow through instead of a screw link when I tie off to the trunk. I wrap the rope around the trunk a couple times then tie a figure 8 follow through around the part of the rope going back up into the tree. Is this bad for the rope?

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds