New Ways to Set Throwlines

• charlieb
  • charlieb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126487 by charlieb
New Ways to Set Throwlines was created by charlieb
I was trying to think out of the box recently for new ways to set throwlines in the tree and saw the thread on helium balloons. That got me thinking about the following which we tried as kids and it had great thrust and human control.

So how's about the old Indian hunting device, (don't know the name) but it was like a hand thrown catapult where you would put the end of a spear on the cupped end of a long stick which was catapulted forward by hand but the stick provided great leverage and acceleration of the spear. All we would have to do is replace the spear with a throw weight and line.
What do ya'll think?
Got any other out-of-the-box ideas?
Maybe we can continue the balloons, rockets and other device thread here.
Also, can anyone report any results from trying some of these methods mentioned in the helium balloon thread. How did they work?

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126488 by dmt500
Replied by dmt500 on topic New Ways to Set Throwlines
That spear-throwing device is called an atlatl. A number of States allow hunting with these to throw a dart or spear, while others do not. Evidently there has been some interest in this weapon since its use was recently featured on an episode of Survivor.

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126490 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic New Ways to Set Throwlines
The same type of device was described extensively and used frequently in the Earth's Children series of books by Jean Auel. (The most famous book was Clan of the Cave Bear, which was made into a comically bad movie starring Daryl Hannah.)

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126491 by moss
Replied by moss on topic New Ways to Set Throwlines
Interesting idea. Here's a graphic showing how it works

Looking at it I don't think it solves the problem. It's still an overhand throwing motion. If you've tried you know that it's very difficult transfer that motion to an effective upward throw. Still worth some testing.

Something similar could be done as an underhand throw but I don't think it would be greater than the force already generated by swinging the weight underhand with current technique.
-moss

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126496 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic New Ways to Set Throwlines
Howzabout a sling like that Samson used to kill Goliath?

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126497 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic New Ways to Set Throwlines

Originally posted by NickfromWI
Howzabout a sling like that Samson used to kill Goliath?

You could definitely get some distance with that, but can you imagine trying to keep the throwline from tangling while you're whipping the thing around in circles?

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126501 by ajakz12
Replied by ajakz12 on topic Don't forget your towel
I had a toy as a kid that was a ball launcher made out of a towel with sticks put in pockets on both short sides. Put the ball in the middle, hold the sticks and bring your hands together. Snap your arms out ward to shoot the ball up high. I haven't whiped one up (waiting for free time) so I'm not sure about height, but I do remember that it gives acuate vertical lift with a little practice. So it may not increase height compared to throwing but it may improve accuacy. Less time throwing more time climbing. I'll work on this. pics later.

The only person you have to be better than, is yourself from yesterday.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128548 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic New Ways to Set Throwlines
a standard hunting slingshot, and a spool of Berkley FIRELINE, 50lb test, and several 1 oz fishing wieghts.

the FIRELINE is so slick and tough, that the little 1oz lead weight will punch thru a heavy canopy and return to ground in seconds. Fireline is strong enoguh to pull your rope up, it (fireline) often breaks at a MUCH higher load rating that is on the package. I have 80lb Fireline break at over 130lbs loads.

small, COMPACT, light, effective.

takes practice.

;)

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds