Use WD40 on the Throwline

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126409 by jimk123
Use WD40 on the Throwline was created by jimk123
I tested WD40 on my throwline today. It worked great. The lines flowed more quickly and seemed to tangle less.

About a year ago, I surveyed the rope manufacturers about cleaning sap. Only Sampson responded, which I highly appreciated. They suggested to spot clean sap with WD40 if the Mayonaise application didn't work. I finally got around to spraying WD40 on my throw line. I like the slick results.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126413 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Use WD40 on the Throwline
I'll bet that works great, but...blech! I'm not into get that stuff all over me. I don't like the smell!

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128549 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Use WD40 on the Throwline
BALLISTOL.

non toxic, SLICK, can be used for other purposes. Cheap. environmentally friendly.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129193 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Silicone Lubes
SRT's Ballistol recommendation caught my attention, so I researched it. In the chemical industry, it's regarded as a high flash solvent. Specifically it's isobutanol or isobutyl alcohol (equivalent terms). Because of the higher boiling point, it has an oily feel. Not going into the nuances of animal testing, exposed rats developed liver tumors. Officially, it's not labeled as a carcinogen in humans. However, Ballistol's claim that it's environmentally friendly is overstated.

I then compared it to silicone which is known by the names of dimethicone or polydimethylsiloxane. This is the base for a myriad of products that includes drugs, deodorants, hand lotions and lubricants. Based on the benign nature of dimethicone, it would be the preferred choice for human exposure. The concern would be the solvent that delivers the lube. My spray can of silicone lube reports that it's safe for nylon.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129197 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Use WD40 on the Throwline
interesting......(about the Ballistol) .

i sometimes use silicone spray as well on my throwline...i actually really like it, the line gets super slippery and just screams over a limb when weighted. Tends to make everything slippery though...biners, hands, etc.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129198 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic The Plot Thickens On Ballistol
I've been trying to rationalize how a company like Ballistol proclaims a product with isobutanol as the active ingredient as environmentally safe. It's very clear that you don't want any quantity of the Ballistol product in your kitchen.

This is where the story takes an interesting turn. Isobutanol is biodegradable and can be produced from a fermentation process. There does exist some bacterium that poops what Ballistol labels and sells. Now the story takes on some redeeming value to man-kind. This biomass fuel can replace gasoline 100%. It has a higher BTU than ethanol. All that's needed at this point are enough bacteria that need to use the restroom.

Assuming that Ballistol is 100% isobutanol, you can always throw it into your gas tank.

More Reading on Butanol as a Biomass Fuel

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129249 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Use WD40 on the Throwline
Just to be complete, this is a common lubricant recommended for carabiners. I'm more puzzled by the environmentally friendly claim. It's not. Also I emailed them to ask how their product is environmentally friendly. No response so far.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds