Footlocking

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122806 by nickfromwi
Footlocking was created by nickfromwi
Any footlockers here? If so, what guidelines do you use to determine the length of your footlock loop?

Why would someone want theirs to be longer?
Why might they want a shorter one?

I have my ideas, but I want to see what you all say, first.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rtrem12
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122820 by rtrem12
Replied by rtrem12 on topic Footlocking
I assume you are referring to a foot loop. We use a ~2.5 ft foot loop. It is attached to the down rope with a 2 wrap prusik. We made them from 6 feet of 8mm spectra tied with a double fisherman's knot.

This works well for most novice climbers. Shorter climbers will have the prusik right in front of them when they are sitting. A few really tall climbers needed 2 hooked together to be able to reach their foot.

Regards,

Bob
Tree Climbing for people of ALL abilities.
www.arborquest.org

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122823 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Footlocking
rtrem, I think you're talking about the loop that you step in, right? I am talking about a cord that a lot of arborists use. It is a prussik that extends over your head. At the ground, you push it up about as far as you can, keep your hands up there, squeeze the rope, do a pull up, sort of pinch the rope in your feet, stand up on the pinched rope, push the prussik up again then start all over. It's one of those things that is a pain in the butt to learn, but once you got it, it's pure bliss!!!

Anyone experienced with that. I've made some for people and sometimes people ask me to make them one and I was looking for a guideline based on body height that I could use to determine how long the cord needs to be.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122825 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic No Blake's?
Is this for SRT (i.e. instead of an ascender)?

• rtrem12
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122837 by rtrem12
Replied by rtrem12 on topic semantics
I refer to the loop of accessory cord attached with a prusik as a foot loop. It is after all a loop added to the rope.

I refer to wrapping the down rope around your foot and pointing your toe to get it to lock as a footlocking.

You say tomato, I say tomato?

Peter, can you solve the semantics or does it just not matter?

Bob

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122901 by treeman
The prusik loop (6 wrap knot) he is referring to is a life support system unlike the accessory foot prusik loop (4 wrap knot) used by recreational climbers. The 6 wrap knot is used as the main friction knot as a climber ascends up a doubled rope. The doubled rope does not move over the branch as in double rope technique. It is a technique used by professional arborists and is seen in the speed climbing events at the tree climbing competitions. It is the fastest way up a tree but it requires skill to master the technique.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122903 by nickfromwi

Originally posted by Treeman
The prusik loop (6 wrap knot) he is referring to is a life support system unlike the accessory foot prusik loop (4 wrap knot) used by recreational climbers. The 6 wrap knot is used as the main friction knot as a climber ascends up a doubled rope. The doubled rope does not move over the branch as in double rope technique. It is a technique used by professional arborists and is seen in the speed climbing events at the tree climbing competitions. It is the fastest way up a tree but it requires skill to master the technique.

Very nicely put! However, you forgot to mention that it's fun;)

love
nick

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122904 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Footlock
Nick,

In the intereset of speeding up my climbs I decided that I would set up a practice in my backyard to learn the footlock. I learned quickly that I'm going to need alot of practice, and to set my line farther from the bole. I think that the brusies on my knees have finaly healed from that mistake. My only problem is slippage at the prussik. It could be that the cordage (8mm) was too small or too stiff, but I seemed to be having difficulty getting the knot to bite when I decided to rest (everytime I made any upward motion :D).

Is there a trick that I'm missing? I really dont use the prussik much any more, I gave up on the foot loop about a year ago and started acting like he-man, my wife likes the way my arms look after a climb! When you advance the prussik how do you set the knot without loading it and slipping back down some?

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122905 by nickfromwi
First off, I'd say try the Klemheist instead of a regular Prussik.

Secondly, you're right, it does take a bit of practice if you want to learn how to footlock up a rope. I good way to get your feet to understand the motions is to tie in with a normal DRT (blake's hitch, or whatever you use), then foot lock up the tail of the rope. You won't be nearly as fast as when you are doing a straight footlock ascent, but you'll figure out what's going on down below.

It is way easier, like you mentioned, to footlock if you free hanging with no branches in your way.

Most importantly...tree climbing is recreation. If you don't like footlocking, don't do it. There are better ways to waste your time in the tree! :D

love
nick

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #122970 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Rope tie off?
I can see how it would be faster, just like SRT is faster than DRT (or D'dRT to be more specific). Do you tie one, or both ends of the rope off to the base of the tree to keep the rope from moving around the anchor limb? I now understand it's not SUPPOSED to move, but it seems like you be in a world of hurt if it did start slipping.
Also, to get down do you just slowly lower yourself using the prusik? Patrick

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #122972 by nickfromwi
For footlocking, do not tie the bottom of the rope to the tree. It needs to be slack to that your feet can reach down and scoop it up.

When I footlock, my left foot reaches under my right foot, scoops up the rope, brings it to the top of my right foot where the left foot then smashes the rope onto my right foot, thus giving me my lock.

For a perfect depiction of it, turn your bibles (Tree Climber's Companion) to page 42. There is a good description and drawings, too!

love
nick

More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123038 by benny12
Replied by benny12 on topic Nick's original request...
I was looking for a guideline based on body height that I could use to determine how long the cord needs to be.

Nick,
Here are my thoughts on the footlock and prussik cords:

First of all, the footlock is awesome! Not that I'm any expert with it, but you're right--it's bliss once you get the technique down. It's my technique of choice for ascents less than 60 feet or so.

As for the cords... you mentioned body height, but I don't think that will make a good template. Length of arms, and style of saddle make the difference. You want the prussik to sit just above one's hands, correct? Take a man and a woman, both 5'9", the woman will probably have shorter arms than the man. Even in spite of gender differences, who's to say one person's arms will be shorter or longer than another's in relationship to their total body height...

Now the style of harness. I climb on a buckingham traverse with the sliding dee rings. This gives me a few inches of space between my waist and the TIP. If I climbed on a master, the TIP would be closer to my waist, and thus I will need a longer prussik cord to have it the appropriate length (so the knot is just above my hands).

If it isn't a matter of harness style, people may want a shorter cord, but that's their own preference.

With a little number crunching, I think you can figure out the appropriate length if you ask people to specify the style of harness they use, and the length from the top of the shoulder to the first knuckles on the hand.

I'm sure there are other variables I'm not thinking of, but that's the best I got...

Static Ropes and Dynamic Climbs,
Benny

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds