Climbing systems

• climbhigher
  • climbhigher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #136060 by climbhigher
Climbing systems was created by climbhigher
Hello My name is Dylan I am a new member. I've been doing tree trimming and removal for a little over a year now. I am self taught through books and other forms of literature. I was curious what kinds of set-ups other climbers use and what you all think works efficently while exerting the smallest amout of energy, but overall whi
le still being as safe as humanely possible. For trim jobs I usually use a split-tail system with carabiners, a micro pulley as a slack-tender, and a foot ascender. I've been thinking of saving to purchase a mechanical ascender to create less friction but I like the friction hitch that I use it seems reliable. Let me know what kinfd of set-ups you use or any advice you might have for an up an coming arborist thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #136061 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re: Climbing systems
Welcome aboard Weclimb. Speaking only for myself, I prefer simplicity over a bunch of do dads. I prefer a split tail system, and use a biner for a slack tender. I've not tried any of the mechanical ascenders and to tell you the truth, I have no particular interest to. I have nothing against the new trinkets. They're just not my thing. The only trinket I use is a Gibs microcender for my lanyard adjustment. Now THAT is worth its weight in gold. Way better than the old prusik adjuster.

Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: climbhigher

• climbhigher
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #136062 by climbhigher
Replied by climbhigher on topic Re: Climbing systems
2chops, thanks. The mechanical lanyard adjuster is indeed worth it's weight in gold. I also recently started using a cheap foot ascender instead of the boot wrap or hip thrust I have somone hang on the rope and with a micro pulley I get up pretty easily and that has been a great energy saver. But I feel like there has got to be an even easier way to make those long trips to a canopy.

More
10 years 10 months ago #136065 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re: Climbing systems

weclimbtrees wrote: ...But I feel like there has got to be an even easier way to make those long trips to a canopy.

What kind of height are you talking about for long ascents? A few different ways to approach it technically to improve your efficiency.
-AJ

More
10 years 10 months ago #136066 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re: Climbing systems
In general you can divide tree access into two categories:

1. Single or doubled rope static systems (by static meaning the rope doesn't move, only the climber moves)

2. Doubled rope dynamic (DRT, by dynamic meaning the rope moves and the the climber moves)

For category 1 static systems you can further divide it into single rope or doubled rope.

Doubled static is commonly known as secured footlock

Single rope is commonly known as SRT.

Ok... so to improve your canopy access efficiency you could do one of the following static techniques:

1a. Secured footlock on doubled rope. Efficient but technically and physically demanding, you have to work at it to become efficient.

1b. Single rope ascent (SRT) technically demanding, many different approaches with mechanical devices, very efficient, requires more gear generally to be efficient.

Or... you can make your DRT technique more efficient. Will never be as efficient as static ascent techniques but can be improved upon.

-AJ

• climbhigher
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #136067 by climbhigher
Replied by climbhigher on topic Re: Climbing systems
Thanks AJ,
Recently I've been working on the SRT where you tie your line off to a tail tree. It seems to be working. Thanks for the tips, I'm going to keep learning all the different styles and try to become proffitient at all of them.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by climbhigher.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds