Tree Prunning Question

• oldtimer
  • oldtimer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 2 months ago #134306 by oldtimer
Tree Prunning Question was created by oldtimer
I have a Texas Cedar Elm tree right next( 10 ft) to one side of the house. It is one of my regular Rec Climbing trees. I think I should do some light pruning to reduce some of the load specially of the branches that are right over the house. I am not talking mayor reduction only some of the smaller secondary branches and any weak or dead material. I am looking for any books that I can consult to get a better idea of what to look for. I have seen some trees pruned in my area and they have the "lion tail look" A long branch with a clump at the end, it does not look nice and they are more likely to break specially in the Aspens and similar species.

Any advise is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #134309 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Tree Prunning Question
I have a large (telephone pole sized) limb leaning toward my house. I plan to top that limb. Hopefully that will reduce the wind loading and the risk. I'm sure it will be less attractive but when the wind blows hard I'll feel better. No doubt I'll have to climb back up and re-trim it every year.

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 2 months ago #134311 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Tree Prunning Question
DaveJ Sounds like a large project. Be careful and make sure that you have all the gear required and good ground help to support your trimming job.
I did a couple of removals at my house and it is definitely a dangerous job. I got a couple of close calls that really made me wonder if what I was doing was safe. :ohmy: - I survived w/o any injuries but now I am more experienced, have more gear and few more years of climbing experience but still do not recommend it to the average Rec Climber.

When the project is too large I rather hire a professional.

More
14 years 2 months ago #134313 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Tree Prunning Question
I plan to use every precaution possible, with several dry runs, and will use a hand saw.

More
14 years 2 months ago #134325 by sgt.gear
Replied by sgt.gear on topic Re:Tree Prunning Question
Any of Dr. Shigo's books are great! If you are wanting to take weight of then don't do it by thinning or limbing up, bad, bad, bad. Where you can make the most difference is at the very tip. Think about a fishing rod with weights hanging every 6 inches or so, if you take all the weights off exept the tip weight you still have this long lanky heavy tip so you have done nothing. But if you only take the tip weight of and leave the rest then it instantly becomes easier to hold. So on a long limb you want to take weight of the tip where it will have the most effect and leave as much vegetation as possible. Do not top, simply cut it back to the next larger limb so it can take over the lead bud role and the tree still looks nice!

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 2 months ago #134327 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Tree Prunning Question
Thanks for he advise.
That is what I had in mind and have done in other tress in the property. Yes I know what you are talking bout the "Lion Tail Effect" (A long naked branch with with a fluffy tail at the end) It look silly! Dr Shigo is a good reference.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds