Need help installing an owl house - Atlanta, GA

• owlhouse
  • owlhouse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
16 years 6 months ago - 16 years 6 months ago #130506 by owlhouse
We have an owl house that needs to be installed 20 feet up in a large tree in our yard.

We will gladly pay a tree climber to install this for us. It would involve drilling two small holes in the tree, and attaching the owl house to the tree with two screws.

If you are interested, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 404-635-4307. We live near East Atlanta Village.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago - 16 years 6 months ago #130509 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Hello fellow birder.
What owl size? Screech or barred owl? I'm sure we can work somethig out. I'll call you.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
16 years 6 months ago - 16 years 6 months ago #130516 by igreen
An owl house is a great idea. Do you already have the house? We will frequently install them without screws. We design ours so they can be held on the tree with tie down straps. That way the box can be taken down and cleaned and disinfected in the off-season -- this is a good thing to do to prevent disease and parasites being transmitted to next year's owls. The tie downs also allow for easy repositioning of the box in the tree if needed.

• owlhouse
  • owlhouse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
16 years 6 months ago - 16 years 6 months ago #130527 by owlhouse
Replied by owlhouse on topic owlhouse installation
Dear Treeman & Igreen,

Thank you for your interest and suggestions. This is a house for barred owls made by Bob May & Lee Baker of Workshop Creations, who seem to know a lot about birds (www.workshopcreations.com). We regularly hear and see barred owls around our house. We originally thought that 20 feet was not that high, until we tried to set a flimsy 20 foot ladder against the tulip poplar tree! I’d be clinging to it so tightly that there is no way I could work with a drill up there.

We are intrigued by Igreen’s suggestion. It sounds like it would be less injurious to the tree. However, the house has a clean-out hatch on the side, so it may not need to be taken down to clean it. Though someone still needs to get at it each year for cleaning. We are also excited that Treeman has offered to help us.

Please call us so we can talk about this further at 404-635-4307 (evenings after 7pm and weekends).

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds