Tree Climbers International Forum

Register today!  Website registration is required to participate in our Forums. Register now and start posting your comments!

New climbers! These Forums are not intended as a substitute for professional tree climbing instruction. Please do not use them for that purpose. We urge you learn the fundamentals of safe tree climbing by taking a “Basic Tree Climbing Course,” or by purchasing TCI’s "Tree Climbing Basics” DVD or online BTCC.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thanks an Arborist

Thanks an Arborist 12 years 10 months ago #127056

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I just completed the removal of a LARGE Oak from the front of my house. It took me a long time to get it all done. (Six months or more). I have been cutting it down until yesterday I did the final 20 feet or so portion of the trunk. It was about 2 feet diameter at the base and very heavy wood. Now I see why professional climbers charge as much as they do. It is difficult, risky and heavy work with lots of chances to do some serious damage to something or someone. So now I only have two more dead oaks to remove and to keep me entertained for a few more months. I learned a lot of rigging and chain saw use safety techniques in the process and hopefully be a safer climber. I gained a lot of appreciation for reading this site and the treebuzz site and looking at the pictures of rigging set ups. Now is the time to rent a stump grinder!
Thanks Guys.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

12 years 10 months ago #127057

Good Post! I need to throw my 2 cents worth in here...
I am not an arborist. However, like many of us here, I have done my share of removals near fixed structures and such.

I agree, I appreciate real arborists too.
It’s not so much the labor as it is planning the cut & the drop. Houses, utility lines, fences, pools, gardens, etc...
It's like threading a needle with a 500 pound piece of lumber with gravity laughing at you all the way.
Once that puppy goes, there ain’t no turning back!
Ya only get one chance to rig it right.

Your post was “right on target”. I enjoyed reading it. And I’ll bet that not only did your back get a work-out but your self-confidence and ability to work out difficult problems and go with your own final decision got well exercised too. :)

Regards,
Electrojake

P.S. On your next removal job, Take pictures, lots of em’!
-Ej-

12 years 10 months ago #127058

Yeah a mistake isn't as easy to fix as write out or spell check. Mistakes in tree work cost lives or money, and a lot of times more money then you will even get for doing the job.
See you at the top.
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Visitor Login