Getting up A Tree

• nhdevildog
  • nhdevildog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125624 by nhdevildog
just started P/T was created by nhdevildog
I was wondering from all the pros...do you guys find it easier to use spurs or the ropes with a friction not or ascender. I just started P?T and we use the spurs. For mostly take downs. Man, it took alot of energy. The guy who is teaching me odes not climb using just ropes since 98 percent of the work are takedowns. I am just wondering what you guys think is easier...the boss said what ever way I get up faster. But I am still learning the DRT.

In war there is no substitute for victory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125600 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Getting up A Tree
Hi nhdevildog,

Spurs are the quickest way up a tree. However, spurs on a living tree are like getting a tatoo with dirty needle. It contaminates a living system.

I did tree work for a short period. When climbing was tough, spurs were the choice. That was 25 years ago. There are techniques and climbing gear that are better for a tree.

I understand that you're making a choice that affects your job. Spurs get the job done. Just know that it's not the best thing for the tree.

www.treebuzz.com is a good site for you to check out. They have a forum on tree work.

Good luck!

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125627 by lizardman
Replied by lizardman on topic spurs
In the uk we call them spikes anyway I think if you have to use spikes they are fine if the whole tree is coming down.Otherwise drt or srt.

www.mighty-oak.co.uk

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds