• LeafMeNpeace
  • LeafMeNpeace's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137340 by LeafMeNpeace
S.E. Louisiana - Texas to Florida on Jobs was created by LeafMeNpeace
Where to start?

Most of my jobs have been at height, everything from Window Washing to Bee Keeping, I have been in and out of the tree industry sense 2001 but have always found time to climb regardless of what else I was climbing. My first climbing job was in 1995 removing wild bee colonies from tree's, barns, homes and commercial buildings, I still keep bees but mostly as a hobby these days. I climbing and cut timber in the cumberland gap (tn) for a couple years that was really fun because a lot of the time the tree's were on top of huge shelfs of shale or close to it which is when I also started rock climbing.

Harness: Petzl Avao Bod Fast - while it occationally gets heavy compared to ones without shoulder straps I needed something that was up to code in different jurisdictions and didn't want to have to lug around more than one as I rode a motorcycle when I could get away with it - doesn't quite work that way once you've tied the knot. She is a cool lady and while she doesn't really climb anything she puts up with me lol.

I generally lean towards DdRT although I am proficient with SRT as well.

Recently someone (last month) stole a tote with a bunch of ascenders, triple-lockers etc. So I'm in the process of building my gear back up. I still have enough to climb a bit while I build my gear back up. I also tend to work a lot, however if anyone within a 100 miles of New Orleans ever wants a climbing buddy - don't let my username dissuade you - I just like the implication of no drama.

As far as climbing goes, I have been accused of being to safe and overly cautious however once you see someone fall out of a tree in the mountains and break their back before getting to the ground (boss - Tenn) you tend to go from double to triple checking everything, not out of fear but out of caring for those around you - I don't ever want my wife to see me like that. Plus we have to be good examples to those we climb with from nieces to newbies, I think those who have been climbing for a while have a bit of an obligation to keep this as safe as possible for all involved. That said, who doesn't like absailing upside down lol. Well I must be getting old because I don't do that nearly as much as I used too, lol.

Oh, I'm a good listener (when I'm not deaf from work lol) and try to see where others are coming from and learn their technique - the only time what works for you is wrong is when it is dangerous. I try to climb at the level of those around me, because I don't want anyone trying to keep up with me and finding themselves outside of their comfort zone. For me it has nothing to do with how high I can get, I don't compete or anything like that, I just love being in tree's, I could care less if I get to the top or not, I think that when people push others past their ability that is when bad things happen. I never climb without at least a groundie or another climber present.

If I take a while to get back to you - I'm probably out on a job :-P I will get back to you as soon as I get your message. Sometimes I login with a cell or tablet sometimes they support the OS sometimes not :-P so generally if you want to climb with me please give me a 3 day heads up so I have a chance to get back in time. I'm also into volunteering. Anything from picking up trash to whatever. Just gotta catch me when I'm off work.

Hmmm, I think that is a pretty good intro, so now it's your turn :-) Stop by say hi, don't just read this and move on - Yes, I'm an extrovert :-) I have a problem of almost always being in a good mood - regardless of what is going on around me.

Happy Trails
LeafMeNpeace

Please forgive typos - I'm running on 4 hours of sleep today - those with kids know what I'm talking about :-P
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by LeafMeNpeace.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137341 by patty
Replied by patty on topic S.E. Louisiana - Texas to Florida on Jobs
Welcome aBoard, LeafMe, and thanks for your long intro. It sounds like you've had alot of interesting experiences in trees. We'd love to read whatever you want to share.
Take a look at the benefits of joining TCI, among which are the ability to use our "Climber Finder." You'll find plenty of folks as potential friends and climbing buddies anywhere in the country.
"Get High/Climb Trees"!
patty jenkins
for TCI
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeafMeNpeace

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds