Buckeye Rook

• stevo
  • stevo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #137177 by stevo
Buckeye Rook was created by stevo
Howdy Ya'll... I'm Steve from Akron Ohio.....just joined site, got some gear, have been trying to watch as much youtube, and read as much as possible online as i possibly can to start climbing.
I am 42 years of age, with a wife of 15 years, and 2 daughters, one is 6 and the other is about to be 8.
I always have had a passion for extreme anything..... that is, until my girls came, and have slowed my roll quite a bit. After a major employment snafu hit the wife, and i, i've been bouncing around with low paying, dead end jobs, and recently lost my Father to Liver cancer. So, after some deep conversations with him prior to leaving us, i've decided to take his advice and "Do what I love".
Always had a bit of a fearless, but wise, daredevil side, and have been called everything from crazy to stupid, (don't much care for that one) ...and I have a theory that with deep mental preparations, and a "Safety-MIND-SET", nothing is out of reach.
So that being said, i've decided to start climbing, recreational at first, and possibly to supplement my, yet ANOTHER, dead-end job!

So here I am.......

Anyone wants a young, 42 year old,responsible,helper,with a strong work ethic, clear-headed, and safety conscious to help out on anything on the weekends around Akron, Ohio, shoot me a pm, and lets get to work!

Hope ya'll have a good Holiday

V.

"Do what you Love, and you'll never work a day in your Life"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #137197 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Buckeye Rook
Hey Stevo,
Here's what I see from my end of the world in Atlanta. I had my own tree service for 25 years. Work is slow this time of year for tree guys. That is, unless an ice storm then it goes to the opposite end of the spectrum. Go to a chainsaw shop and ask for the name of a couple of good companies that do tree work. Call them. Expect to be turned down. Call the next week. "Just checking in with you." Eventually they will know you are serious. Then expect to drag brush for them. New climbers are loss leaders to companies. But you want to see how it is done. Consider it on the job training. The other route, which is far more extreme, is to get another buddy part time to handle the ropes to let down wood. That's how I got started. Buy TCI's $20 Tree Climbing Basics DVD. It's my tree climbing course. Watch it at least 6 times. Learn the knots and go find you a practice to climb.

This is America's most dangerous profession. Every 4 minutes someone is hurt or killed in this trade. Start with little pruning jobs and ALWAYS be tied in twice before cutting. I was a rock climber before a working climber. I understand you nudge towards exciting work.

Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevo

• stevo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #137214 by stevo
Replied by stevo on topic Buckeye Rook
Thanks Treeman.....It's an honor to have you reply to MY question/topic.
I am looking to get Dvd, and watch, watch, implement on practice tree in yard, watch, implement, watch....etc.etc.etc.......repeat......well, you get what I'm trying to say.
I am picking up that quite a few "Pros" in my area are not really eager to volunteer their knowledge...
to me for whatever reason, all i want to do is learn to rec climb, learn some basic tree science, and take care of this big ol red oak in my yard that has OBVIOUSLY been maintained for many,many years up until the property owner relinquished that over to new homeowner (me), and clean up a WILD cherry i have in the back as well.
Again, I am on the Dvd, learning my knots, and trust me when i say this, I am all about being safe.
But in the meantime, I'm going to just find some people who share the same passion for this as i do, and try to hook up with them and maybe climb together somewhere this winter.
I work in a warehouse, and I'm able to do some practicing with my throw line, but the boss isn't to keen on running up a climbing line and working on some basic "Slow & Low" stuff. (Would be better to do it indoors when weather is bad)
But maybe someone will read this, and send me a message this spring or something..

Thanks again for taking the time to talk to me, and i hope you have a nice winter break, and a great 2015

V.

More
9 years 2 months ago #137229 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Buckeye Rook
Yo Stevo,
I am sure you can make a go at something you love. You got kids and wife to make you honest. Patty used to tell me "I'll kill you if you get killed!" when I went out the door. I'm a good boy so I minded her real good.

The DVD will get you started fine. Don't watch too many YouTube stuff however. There's some freaky stuff out there, sho nuff.

Don't forget to ask a question once in a while here. That's how you meet folks. Ya hear?

Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevo

• stevo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #137232 by stevo
Replied by stevo on topic Buckeye Rook
Word.
Thanks again, Treeman.

Have a good year!

V.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds