SEVERE SPUR DAMAGE ON SCOTLAND'S TALLEST TREE!!!!!

• michaeljspraggon
  • michaeljspraggon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #137072 by michaeljspraggon
SEVERE SPUR DAMAGE ON SCOTLAND'S TALLEST TREE!!!!! was created by michaeljspraggon
Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I posted. I wish it was under better circumstances:

A friend of mine climbed the tallest tree in Scotland, at Reelig Glen Wood last weekend to measure it by tape drop. TO HIS HORROR HE FOUND THAT SOMEONE HAD CLIMBED IT USING SPURS!!! There were deep wounds ALL THE WAY from the lowest branches to a few metres from the top. There were also very bad rope burns on some branches from natural-crotched dDRT descents.

I have reported this to the Forestry Commission and also the Tree Register of the British Isles, who are investigating it.

The tree was climbed a month ago by a film unit and a presenter for the BBC. The program was aired on national TV 2 weeks ago. Is it possible that someone saw the program and decided to 'have a go at climbing it?

We need to come together to condemn such total disregard for any healthy tree, let alone a national champion!

Michael ("Archangel")

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: yoyoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #137076 by Nimbadon
Michael you are a true advocate for the trees :)
Makes me sad to see things like that still happening

More
5 years 2 months ago #138278 by oldtimer
I am so sorry to see this kind of damage done to healthy tree or any tree for that matter.
Spurs should be used only on dead or dying trees that will be removedanyway.
What a shame. Hope they are able to identify the individuals who did this damage and take appropriate action according to your local laws.

• michaeljspraggon
  • michaeljspraggon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
5 years 1 month ago #138279 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic SEVERE SPUR DAMAGE ON SCOTLAND'S TALLEST TREE!!!!!
Hi Desi! I met you back in 2013 in Atlanta. We will never know who did this, but it was probably related to the tree being climbed on national TV, so it has stopped me from putting up videos of my own climbs of champion trees.

Michael

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds