National Geographic Channel Explorer "Climbing the

• TreeTramp
  • TreeTramp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
14 years 6 months ago #134091 by TreeTramp
National Geographic Channel Explorer "Climbing the Redwood Giants"

Climbing Redwood Giants tells the story of the worlds tallest living trees. Humboldt State Universitys Steve Sillett, the first researcher to explore the redwood canopy, is obsessed with monster redwoods. To say Sillett likes redwoods is like saying Edmund Hillary was keen on mountains or Jacques Cousteau had a fondness for the sea. Just when Steve Sillett thinks hes climbed and measured an unbeatably tall tree, another one turns up in a hidden valley of California and breaks the record. As Sillett investigates redwoods up in their towering crowns, National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence Mike Fay is charting the entire redwood range on the ground, step by step, on an epic year-long journey to get a sense of the past...and future of the worlds most awe-inspiring living things.

Read more: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/explorer/3823/Overview#ixzz0SOj2kxW6

10-29 at 10pm EDT
10-30 at 1am EDT
11-3 at 7pm EDT
11-4 at 2am EDT
11-6 at 6pm EDT
11-10 at 6pm EDT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #134102 by Baker
Here is the article from National Geographic magazine.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/10/redwoods/nichols-photography

More
14 years 6 months ago #134105 by moss
That looks like Illuvatar, I know the mid-section of the crown too well, not from climbing it but doing a laborious illustration based on a snapshot, wish I'd had a photo like that to work from.

Haven't seen the National Geo TV piece yet, will try to soon.
-moss

More
14 years 6 months ago #134108 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:National Geographic Channel Explorer "Climbing the
Love the photo. I bet it's not possible to see the entire tree like that from a single viewpoint. I like the casual poses of the various humans dotted about the crown. I guess you can do that standing on boughs large enough to hold a dinner party on :laugh:

Michael

More
14 years 6 months ago #134114 by treeweasel
I think this National Geographic show was inspired in part by the best selling book, Wild Trees, by Richard Preston.

I just finished reading it. It was very good. Steve Sillett's success is also attributed to many other characters in his life including his very skilled climber wife, Marie (Antoine) Sillett. I highly recommend the book. It talks a lot about climbing safety and climbing technique. And of course, the importance of his research about trees.

• mdvaden
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 2 days ago #134517 by mdvaden
The photo in the OP, is also available from National Geographic as a 6 foot tall print.

$200

If I ever got one, I'd make my own frame though.

Fay, who was also featured in the magazine and show, had posted on some kind of blog either in the midst of his transect or shortly after finishing. I wonder if he went through more than one pair of sandals.

B)

• mdvaden
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 2 days ago - 13 years 11 months ago #134518 by mdvaden
EDIT ...

Seen the 44 minute video Online?

I started a new topic in the General Discussion, but here's the video for this discussion too.

Grab a beverage and enjoy
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by mdvaden.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds