Way to go, Moss!

• pattyjenkins
  • pattyjenkins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #131597 by pattyjenkins
Way to go, Moss! was created by pattyjenkins
Nice piece in this morning's Jamaica Plain Gazette: Jamaica Plain Gazette . Please post the correct url for folks who want to see your website.

patty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #131600 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Way to go, poor Moss!
Well, I guess that not all publicity is a positive one specially when the reporter makes up his own story without interviewing the subget of his ranting!

Shame this guy did not even take the time to do his background research to a least get the basics of Recreational Tree Climbing straight.
Go out, learn the sport, climb a tree and then write your article based on facts not fiction! :angry:
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by oldtimer.

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #131601 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Way to go, Moss!
85% of the article was good in a generic sort of way, the reporter was a bit churlish with me, wasn't happy when I wasn't able to interview on short notice, went to press without talking to me. The opening sentence was totally weird, focusing on \"apparently illicit\" tree climbing. And the part about me removing references to a climb location from one of my photos, the reasons for doing that had nothing to do with the reporter contacting me. Oh well, the press giveth and the press taketh away. I'm trying to decide whether or not to roll with my new outlaw persona. Naw, I'm not into public image maintenance, those who know me well know that I'm in it for the love of tree climbing and seeing how happy it makes people when they climb a tree on rope for the first time.

Here's an explanation of what the BARC site is all about (the Gazette article did not cover this):

A couple of years ago the Boston Globe featured me in a general story on recreational tree climbing. Since then I've built up a long list of people who've emailed asking to climb. I still receive a couple emails a week from this article. I have a day job and am not a professional instructor so I've only been able to bring a small number of these people into trees. I don't own property with trees, land is very expensive in eastern Massachusetts. I climb on private property with permission and make personal climbs on public land in a low profile and environmentally sensitive way. As a result of the shortage of facilitating sites there is no go-to location to run climbs for groups. In the background I've been working on opening up climb locations in Boston parks, this is a gradual process that involves collaborating with community groups and the Boston Parks and Recreation Department. In order to give the many people who want to climb a chance to get into a tree I started the BARC community web site. I was hoping that experienced tree climbers would be able to network with new climbers, giving the new climbers the opportunity to get into some trees. I hoped this would remove the bottleneck of having all new climbers in my area go through me. Now we have a good number of experienced and potential climbers registered on the BARC site but not much is happening. The underlying problem is that we still don't have designated climbing locations in the Boston area. This will take some time and background work. In retrospect I probably should've held off from setting up the BARC site until some climbing locations were secured. It's all a learning process, we'll get there.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by moss.

More
15 years 10 months ago #131603 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Way to go, Moss!
...and it's not just about getting there but all of the other things you do en route (and if this message board is anything to go by that's quite a lot!!!)

Michael

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds