Big Tree Climbers go aloft to measure

• TreeTramp
  • TreeTramp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 4 months ago #130862 by TreeTramp
Big Tree Climbers go aloft to measure was created by TreeTramp
Last Sunday Nov. 4th the newspaper \"Oregonian\" had this story about two climbers.

http://www.oregonlive.com/O/relationships/index.ssf?/base/living/1193954107283660.xml&coll=7

See you at the top,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #130865 by burrdoc
Replied by burrdoc on topic Re:Big Tree Climbers go aloft to measure
Excellent article! Thanks for posting.
I'm beginning to feel a little irritated by \"everyone's\" concern that recreational tree climbers are some sort of threat to the trees and forests of this country. Maybe it's just me b/c I have heard these same arguments about flyfishing and ww kayaking. Everyone was concerned that rivers would be swarmed and ruined by both groups but what actually occurred was a greater appreciation for the wild river habitat which has translated into Trout Unlimited and American Whitewater doing as much or more than anyone to preserve the scenic rivers of this country.
Why is rec tree climbing different? Why wouldn't having more people climb and appreciate trees help prevent the destruction that goes on daily nearly everywhere in this country? Here in Kentucky the university wants to strip creek banks in a preserve to study the damage it causes to water quality. Don't we know this stuff already? The underlying reason for the decision is that they need the money from the timber sales, some of us think. How would a few scratches on some tree limbs from rec climbers compare to the Forest Service clear cutting for profit--it happens a lot.
I, for one, am proud and happy that I was able to attend Peter Jenkin's course and know a little (IMHO) about safely climbing trees in my neck of the woods. I would and will encourage as many people as possible to learn more about trees and to climb a few.
But, I expect, I am preaching to the saved. However, I do feel better getting it off my chest.
Randy

More
16 years 4 months ago - 16 years 4 months ago #130866 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Big Tree Climbers go aloft to measure them!
Thanks for posting the link (Treetramp).
I am glad that Sophia helped these guys with their endeavor.
I drought that \"hordes\" of Climbers will descend upon all the trees of the World and climb them. I wish they would, so we can see the destruction of habitat that is occurring daily under our own noses and without anyone complaining. The small impact of a trained climber on a tree is insignificant when compared with the amount of uncontrolled clear tree cutting taking place all around the world today.
During our trip to Canton-MS last year for the Rendezvous we drove by a clear cut area where a new subdivision of houses was taking place close to the Nissan Manufacturing plant. I bet nobody even noticed the several acres denuded of life, trees and vegetation and being compacted to place houses on them. That is more damage than we all did by climbing a few trees that week.:silly:
Last edit: 16 years 4 months ago by oldtimer.

More
16 years 4 months ago #130870 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Big Tree Climbers go aloft to measure
This is an issue that can't be boiled down to a simple right or wrong answer. For most of the trees we climb it doesn't matter, our techniques minimize damage. But when you're talking about temperate zone rainforest trees in the Pacific Northwest, it's a whole 'nother animal, they're loaded with epiphytes. It wouldn't take very many climbers per year targeting the tallest trees in this area to start creating a \"path\" in the upper parts of the tree. That's why I'm against peak bagging, climb anything but the champion trees. I understand these guys mean well but they're unfortunately leading the way to a well trodden path in the wrong places.

From another point of view, I'm totally uninterested in climbing trees that have been climbed by dozens of other people. It's so enjoyable to be the first one in a tree and possibly to be the last person to ever climb that tree. There are so many cool trees out there to climb, why go after the champions? Think about the staging areas near the top of Mt. Everest littered with oxygen cannisters, it's a nasty trash heap up there. Who wants our best wild trees tamed and the ground around them trampled?

I don't think the two climbers will do this themselves, the question is what will follow? I applaud their mission and hope no one follows them.
-moss

More
16 years 4 months ago #130905 by towhee
Replied by towhee on topic Re:Big Tree Climbers go aloft to measure
This article is also linked to here: Linky .
Its #3!

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds