You cant get permission?

• TreeTramp
  • TreeTramp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 4 weeks ago - 17 years 4 weeks ago #129459 by TreeTramp
You cant get permission? was created by TreeTramp
Here we go again. Negative view of tree climbing caused by some thrill-seekers free climbing in a city park. Wonder if I should even try and contact the "club" ? The Park guy did say to use ropes.

Read all about at: Lawrence Kansas Newspaper

See you at the top,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 weeks ago - 17 years 4 weeks ago #129460 by moss
Replied by moss on topic You cant get permission?
The college students appear to be lighthearted adventurists who made an email mistake.

Definitely worth contacting them, sounds like a good educational opportunity. Could turn into an opening to legalize roped climbing for the park and campus mentioned. Have to start somewhere.
-moss

More
17 years 3 weeks ago - 17 years 3 weeks ago #129461 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Yay for Lawrence!
I've been to Lawrence and there are WONDERUL trees there. I didn't have my gear when I was there and I was tempted to free climb them, too! :D

Interesting that the cop said to use ropes and harnesses. It shows that there is one person on the enforcement side of things that is open to doing things the right way.

So has anyone invited them to this site yet? I bet they could get funding to buy climbing gear. In college, my school gave money to us, the Outdoor Club, to purchase rock climbing gear so we could take student climbing.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago - 17 years 3 weeks ago #129462 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic You cant get permission?
I'm getting the club president's email address right now. Will report back later.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129997 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic You cant get permission?
Lawrence does indeed have some great trees. I spent time on my friends' forest outside of town, climbing six species in two days, in fulfillment of the old facilitator certification requirements.

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129999 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Kansas "Free-Climber"
Harv, Thanks for the photos. Is that Abe Winters hanging in the lower part of the tree?

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130000 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic You cant get permission?
Looks like ol' Abe, doesn't it. That's actually Karl, an old hiking buddy who used to teach there at KU. We're climbing in his and Sarah's woods near Lawrence.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds