A quick question about terminology

• phanhuyen12
  • phanhuyen12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #138116 by phanhuyen12
A quick question about terminology was created by phanhuyen12
1. Are there commonly used basic terms to describe general tree shapes and the manner in which the main stem branches out?

2. Is there a term for positioning yourself closer to the center of the tree than your TIP -- such as if you are climbing on top of an angled limb?

3. Is there a term for climbing with no weight on your rope vs. with your full weight on your rope?

4. In a typical limb walk is there a term for lanyarding to the limb for the return walk back toward the trunk?

5. Is there a term for positioning the rope over the TIP and then around the main stem rather than the smaller branch?

6. Is there a term for not quite isolating a \"wild\" TIP as a safety measure?

7. Is there a term for being higher in a tree than your rope would reach for an immediate emergency descent?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #138132 by moss
Replied by moss on topic A quick question about terminology
1. Yes, there are many descriptive terms for tree crown forms "vase shaped", "cone shaped" etc. At the most basic level the crown form can be described as "excurrent" which is typical of conifers or "decurrent" which is more typical of broad leafed trees, like oak or maple for example.

2. Not that I know of. In rec tree climbing we talk about limb/branch routes vs. trunk routes. I think of it as either an air route (no contact with the trunk for the initial ascent) or a trunk route.

3. In rope and harness tree climbing the goal is to constantly remove slack from the rope as the climber progresses. That is known as "work positioning" climbing meaning the climber wants to have their weight on the rope as much as is practical. Tree climbing ropes are very static vs. say rock climbing ropes. It is is extremely dangerous to climb for long with slack in the rope (weight off the rope) in tree climbing. "Fall factor" forces multiply exponentially with increased slack and static or semi-static will transmit that force to the climber's body if they fall on a slack rope.

4. No, the way you describe it is accurate, there is no specific term for that as far as I know.

5. Not specifically. Rec tree climbers typically climb what's called "doubled rope technique" or DRT so the TIP need to be isolated. In single rope technique or SRT, climber security is improved by distributing the rope over multiple support points in the tree.

6. See number 5, in SRT line settings, I call it a "distributed TIP", others may use different terms.

7. No, there isn't a specific term that I know of. Tree work climbers typically maintain a strict protocol of always having a route to reach the ground without having to down pitch or re-pitch on the way down. Mileage varies with rec tree climbers, I frequently re-pitch above where my rope can reach the ground in one or more down pitch. For example when climbing in tall forest trees where I have to carry gear a fair distance and it is not practical to carry large amounts of rope.

-AJ
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by moss.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #138149 by Fultarly
Replied by Fultarly on topic A quick question about terminology
thanks for answering as i had similar questions. i remember i had other questions about terminology myself but i cannot remember which are they exactly. can i ask them here in case i remember them? thanks Egg&Cheese Spring Galette
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Fultarly.

More
5 years 9 months ago #138150 by patty
Replied by patty on topic A quick question about terminology
Yes! You are welcome to ask questions here. Many people learn from the answers.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds