Tree Huggers

• tree hugger
  • tree hugger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 2 weeks ago #136518 by tree hugger
Tree Huggers was created by tree hugger
Hello, I am a tree-climbing arborist with an interest in recreational climbing. I have been experimenting with different ways to enable people to climb trees recreationally relying less on rope access techniques. I have used a method of inflation of a modified tyre to provide a solid climbing hold for the parts of the tree that have no natural holds. The tyre is deflated and lightly cinched against the tree with load-rated straps. The tyre is then inflated to 25psi where it forms a strong bond with the tree and a solid shape to climb upon. I have some concerns about the best way to strap the tyres to achieve redundancy and also the best way to achieve belay in a configuration like this. I would appreciate feedback on this. Best Regards, Matthew
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #136519 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Tree Huggers
Great innovation with the tires! I think you're approaching tree climbing more like gym/rock climbing. Creates some problems, especially as you mentioned in belay. The fall factor window starts to get really tight, the belayer must be even more vigilant than on rock or gym wall. A dynamic rope becomes very problematic, any fall on a stretchy rope creates problems smashing bodies into limbs. A static or semi-static rope and a very alert belayer can help solve that but then you can have significant fall factor loads on the climber when they fall even short distances.

As a working arborist you likely recognize that it is nearly universal in skilled roped tree climbing to use "work positioning" principles, that is the system is "self-belayed" and the climber is constantly taking slack out of the system as they ascend. A relatively simple single rope ascent system can be configured to be auto-advancing with instant grab if the climber slips or voluntarily sits back on the rope. something to think about anyway. -AJ
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by moss.

More
10 years 1 week ago #136520 by Bushwhacker
Replied by Bushwhacker on topic Tree Huggers
I can't contribute, but the tire innovation is pretty impressive!

Judging from the Eucalyptus, I take it you're somewhere in Australia? Where?

• tree hugger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 1 week ago #136521 by tree hugger
Replied by tree hugger on topic Tree Huggers
Hey thanks...Moss I like your ideas about static ascent...from a climber's perspective on these tyres and the tree itself it is more enjoyable to climb with no tail of rope tugging you down (even a static line) ie the climber is attached to the end rather than "on the bight"...Matt

• tree hugger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 1 week ago #136522 by tree hugger
ps sorry I forgot to reply Bushwhacker that I am in Townsville, Queensland...

More
10 years 1 week ago #136523 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Tree Huggers
WOW! Viewing this has created chaos in my mind.

I have been messing around with various hand/foot hold attachments using just about everything I could wrap around a trunk.

The way tires will bend and flex around limbs of every size solves many issues.

Until I get few tires to play with I can only suggest ideas on how to secure them- At Strapworks.com you can have them custom sew webbing as wide/long as practical with ratchet buckles that can be tighten down super tight before re-inflation. Using one length passed thru the left side of the tire then behind the limb and thru the right side will leave both free ends able to hook together again behind the limb. This creates a great mechanical advantage. Tight them down, then inflation will even further make the tire unmovable without harm to the cambium. Any small motion will abrade a little but since nothing moves no harm is done PLUS they are removable; portable and best of all easy on the hands and toes. You could even climb barefooted!

GOOD JOB and I plan on adopting your idea posthaste.

See you at the top! Dan

• tree hugger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 1 week ago #136524 by tree hugger
Hello Dan, I'm glad you like the tyres, please let me send you a tyre to mess around with. If you are keen for this, please email me your address to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Best Regards,

Matt

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds