Climbing: Get your Mind Right

• dogwood
  • dogwood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #136307 by dogwood
Climbing: Get your Mind Right was created by dogwood
I just received a package of gear from TreeStuff, along with the copy of "Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture", which I had ordered. It's in a spiral bound format, with lots of photographs and eight chapters on SRT, including information on the latest systems. The preface, however, is alone well worth the price of the book. We've all been taught the basics of setting up and inspecting our systems, and examining the tree itself for potential hazards. However, the first and most important thing we have to do is to check out our mental state before we go up. Steve Castrogiovanni's story about the fall which nearly took his life is a real wake up call. I'm very glad he survived to tell us his tale. It bears repeating, every time we go up, we literally put our lives on the line. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who climbs trees.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by dogwood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: YandL Outdoors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #136320 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Climbing: Get your Mind Right
I've not read this book, nor am I familiar with Steve's story. But I do plan on looking into it. Good topic though. I always take a moment to examine my thoughts before I clip in. Make sure I'm not in too big a hurry so I don't over look something. I have found that the more experience one has, it's easier to get a bit complacent. "Ah I've done this a million times." Not a good thought to have float through the gray matter when engaging in a high risk activity.

I've retired from doing tree work and now only run Facilitated Climbs and climb for my own pleasure. When I was a working climber, I took some risks that I just won't and don't need to as a rec climber. (No longer need to climb punky, half dead trees next to power lines that the bucket truck can't reach. Yee Haa!) Thanks DW. I'll look for the book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: YandL Outdoors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds