Question: Why not tree climbing?

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 4 months ago #135927 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Question: Why not tree climbing?
HUK, Very good analagy about the frisbee. You're correct also about the trend being to not do outdoor activities. Case in point.

As mentioned in the OP, we were contacted by a camp that has had declining numbers of campers over the past few years. And the kids that do attend, I'm told that it's hard to get them to do stuff because all they want to do, or are used to doing, is play video games. So the camp leadership was hoping that tree climbing would be different enough to pique the interest of the kids. The director was blunt with us and said he would be surprised if a dozen kids would climb durring their 4 hour open house event. We had 34 climbers, and had to turn away a few at the end due to time constraints. The novelty does help. But when it gets right down to it, as we all know, climbing is fun... and theraputic.

At every event we're told "I'm afraid of heights." To which I respond, "Of course you are. That means you're normal. Everyone is scared at first. In fact there are still times that I get a little jittery. Depends on the situation." Often they ask me about my first time up, and I get to tell the story. They get a kick out of it. Funny stuff. Anyways...

Patty, I don't let the parents get too chatty towards their kids either. They hear me do my instructional thing at the beginning, and all of a sudden they think they're experts. I tell them kindly to let me be the "bad cop" and offer the instruction when needed. I point out, again nicely, that I want the kids to figure it out for themselves, so they can develop critical thinking skills. This usually works. The persistant "instructors" I walk over to them and, so as not to "diss" them in front of their kids, let them know that they have to pipe down, or get on rope and show me how it's done. I've been to too many little league games to tolerate a mouthy know it all parent. The parents that do take the bait and get on rope get real quiet once clipped in. But once they get on to it, they have a great time. I love the look of achievement that they then get to share with their kids. Priceless.

To all of you who responded, good points all. Keep them coming.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #135929 by dahlpeterl
Replied by dahlpeterl on topic Re:Question: Why not tree climbing?
moss wrote:

The practice of patience and persistence in the face of adversity are not what many people think of when they think about recreation in their free time.
-AJ

Fantastic, can I use that?

More
11 years 4 months ago #135930 by dahlpeterl
Replied by dahlpeterl on topic Re:Question: Why not tree climbing?
Tree climbing also requires a love of nature. A labour of love if you like.
And unfortunately not everyone has that. You only have to look at how some people "prune their own trees" to see where the love is.
Can you imagine if Rec. Climbing really took off? I don't think I would like to share my local trees with people who bought their climbing gear from the local sport shop to "give it a go".

Most of the people I've met who climb and care for trees because they love it, see trees in a different light than someone who just wants to show up and climb rope.

Every one in their own time, and it's not for everyone.

More
11 years 4 months ago #135931 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Question: Why not tree climbing?
Nimbadon wrote:

moss wrote:

The practice of patience and persistence in the face of adversity are not what many people think of when they think about recreation in their free time.
-AJ

Fantastic, can I use that?

Of course! Maybe add... "Which is unfortunate because the rewards are great." ;-)

I think the question "What is recreational tree climbing all about?" is still unfolding. It's different for everyone of course but there's more to discover inside and out, even for the "old hands".
-AJ

More
11 years 4 months ago #135932 by yoyoman
Replied by yoyoman on topic Re:Question: Why not tree climbing?
2chops wrote:

climbing is fun... and theraputic.

At every event we're told "I'm afraid of heights." To which

Are they afraid of heights or are they afraid of falling?
Understanding the process, equipment and methods helps get past the fear of falling, familiarity and experience gets one past the fear of heights, or anything, right? Bet they feared driving at one point too. About 117 people die on the highway each DAY in the US, how much fear is there in getting into a car?

More
11 years 4 months ago #135933 by patty
Replied by patty on topic Fear of heights
Lots and lots of people express fear of heights at our events. To which we usually respond that they're not alone, and that most people don't overcome their fear, but work with it. We tell them to hang out, acclimate, and they may feel comfortable going higher. No pressure, though. Finally, we say that even if they get just 5 feet off the ground, they're successful.

Treeman is still afraid of heights. He kept his fear as a little "voice" speaking to him when he did tree work for 25 years. That voice kept him cautious and careful; hence his record of no-accidents throughout.

patty

More
11 years 4 months ago #135934 by yoyoman
Replied by yoyoman on topic Re:Fear of heights
patty wrote:

Lots and lots of people express fear of heights .....work with it. We tell them to hang out, acclimate, ....they're successful.

Treeman is still afraid of heights.

patty

And you guys do this all very well! I would just say that I think Treeman has a LOVE of heights rather than afraid/fear, not to go religious but it is like the difference between doing good because you have a fear of God or doing good because you have a love of God, if you know what I mean. Anyway, keep up the good work.
It was good to see you in Portland in August, still never found Treeman wondering around though, probably hiding up a tree somewhere. ;)

More
11 years 4 months ago #135935 by patty
Replied by patty on topic Re:Fear of heights
Good point! I think Treeman would say he has a love/hate relationship with height.

Come climb with us some time!!

patty

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #136020 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:Question: Why not tree climbing?
I sure counted on tree climbing being a mainstream activity when I first started out with the TCI school. I had a number of marketeers tell me it would take 25 years. So here it is 30 years later and it is still rather hidden from public view. But I have discovered something else. The type of people tree climbing attracts is far from mainstream. This is not a bad thing for the culture of tree climbers because of the quality and intellect of the folks that climb. Tree climbing is kind of self regulating as far as personalities is concerned. The people that CHOOSE to climb aren't there because of peer pressure because it is "cool." It's a thought out choice.

This choice to climb trees has done well to protect the trees that are being climbed. I saw rock climbing in the early days in Rocky Mountain National Park when rock climbing became the rage, the rock suffered (and still does). That "conquest mentality" dulls "consideration mentality".

Having a tree all to yourself is the norm. Not so with popular rock climbing sites. So this tree climbing thing is for the "special people." The not so ordinary people. I never got rich off of tree climbing, even though I got to create a twist to something most kids experience. But that was not my intent anyway- the getting rich thing. I am pleased with the results of an idea that started in a vacant lot here in Atlanta. Good people, good trees being discovered and experienced daily by a select few, and some darn pretty looking "bling-ish" looking pieces of gear.

Yeah..... The gear those manufacturers keep cranking out. If it weren't for recreational tree climbing, there wouldn't be near as many innovations and shiny gizmos you can lay hands on. Let me tell you. When I started doing tree work in 1979 there were only a few- like 3 pages- for tree climbing things in Ben Meadows.

And so many styles of tree climbing (with gizmos to match our climbing style needs). And still the forests are not choked with tree climbers. Go figure.

There's a part of me that wants to yell "take for the trees!" and break some social rules about where you can climb. You know- ninja climbing. But at age 64 I just don't care any more about that revolution thing like I used to. I just go climbing and let my senior age do cover work for me when an occasional officer tells me to come down. Maybe some young buck will take on that challenge. But then again, maybe it will never be an issue because we will be in such a minority. Not much room and too expensive to house tree climbers in jails anyway.

So you people thinking about tree climbing and experiencing the beginning hurdles of buying good gear. It's part of the process on deciding what your priorities are. But once you do get that not so cheap gear, then you will be motivated to go out and experience something most normal everyday folks don't get to see- the live crown of a tree up close. And when that wind comes up and the tree starts to talk to you, well..........you'll be one of the select few. You will be in a 3 dimensional world. Not like walking on flat ground. You won't have the herd to deal with. And if you go up with a friend, you won't have to worry about making small conversation.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins
The following user(s) said Thank You: bradypus

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #136024 by squirrelmaster
Replied by squirrelmaster on topic Re: Question: Why not tree climbing?
New climber here. I'm scarred of heights too, but i just been eying this sport for about four or five years. I finally took the plunge and bought all kinds of climbing stuff. My buddy's think I'm nuts for taking to climbing trees, but they all look at my gear with lustful eyes! Just the other day one of them started to show some interest in wanting to buy a saddle. I will admit that I kind of like being part of something different, something special. One nice thing about tree climbing is that even if everyone wanted to climb, there are plenty of trees to share.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #136035 by bradypus
Replied by bradypus on topic Re: Question: Why not tree climbing?
It's stressfull to tell an opinion after reading Treeman giving such an interesting post. More when english is not your natural language. I hope that i won't make to many mistakes. :blush:

In my little opinion tree climbing isn't the objective but only the way to get to it. The real meaning of climbing, to me at least, is geting close to nature, discovering and learning about trees and forest life, about nature in general, and finaly get involved in natural conservation.

I clearly care about climbing technics and gears but absolutly not as much as about trees i get in. Feeling special is the last of my concern and i even think that it's not a good reason to go tree climbing because it's self centered and we need to stop to be self centered to really protect natural environnements.

So i want tree climbing to get mainstream because we absolutly need to take care of nature and it can be a great vector of naturalist knowledge and protection. But if it becomes popular because of bad reasons and with no care about wildlife, i prefer way much tree climbing to stay unknown and trees peacefull.

And to answer you Ron to me ziplining is fun but keeps away from the real objective. Instead of knowing and protecting trees it put us away from trees and it stress them a lot. In fact in tree climbing technics i even don't like that much tyrolians, pandular jumps and so on because the more hard sensations people feel the more they forget that they are on a tree.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by bradypus.

More
10 years 11 months ago #136036 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re: Question: Why not tree climbing?
I agree with with you all and as Peter said awhile back= "It is not a thing to do but a place to go"

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #136040 by JuanVenus
Replied by JuanVenus on topic Re: Question: Why not tree climbing?
Yeah I agree people starts taking interest in it.I am just curious to know more about it.

image upload
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by JuanVenus.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136343 by mdvaden
Replied by mdvaden on topic Question: Why not tree climbing?
I think the OP may be be missing another way to look at this altogether.

Not many people climbing? Not much promoting it?

OK ... be thankful for that.

Know why I like the north California Coast Redwoods for hiking or photos much more so than, say, Muir Woods by San Francisco? It's not just because they are bigger. It's because they are more remote and get less visitors.

If not a lot a people are climbing trees, it's going to keep some of the existing climber's favorites more mellow. It's evident there are more trees than there are parks. But if the number of climbers quadrupled, bet quite a few existing climbers would notice a difference in some locations.

Actually, you seem to be doing very well word-of-mouth with a slow steady advance of veterens, as it is.

Arborist || Photographer

mdvaden.com | vadenphotography.com | wideanglesite.com

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago #136344 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Question: Why not tree climbing?
@mdvaden...Howdy. Looking back over the course of the thread, I did say, as well as others, that as a climber I am glad that there aren't tons of others climbing. Part of what I like about rec tree climbing is the discovery and solitude of it. Finding new trees to climb and being able to get out of town, or above it as the case may be, to unwind. It is true, increase the foot traffic and things get messed up in a hurry.

As I stated in the OP, the question is more of a muse. I am a philosopher by nature. Ask questions and look at the angles is what I do. Drives my wife and friends nuts at times. Ha, ha, ha....

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds