Virtual tour of UNC's giant trees

• pdbrandt
  • pdbrandt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #135592 by pdbrandt
Virtual tour of UNC's giant trees was created by pdbrandt
The Chapel Hill campus of the University of North Carolina has hundreds and hundreds of huge trees that would make any TTCer salivate. I recently took pictures of more than 100 different species on campus that are part of a self guided tour only available (until recently, that is) as a book based tour.

I'm hoping that by doing this service to the University they will be more likely to say yes when I ask them if I can climb in some of the campus trees :P

The link to the new tour I created is open to the public and can be found by going to: http://goo.gl/P8d68 . On a slow connection it may take a few seconds to load all the pins, so please be patient. I thought my fellow tree enthusiasts might enjoy seeing some of the pictures and testing your tree identification skills.

Here is a blurb that describes the new tour:

UNC Tree Tour - Google Maps-based virtual or walking tour of UNC's shade trees

This self guided tour of the arboreal heritage of UNC's Chapel Hill campus can either be enjoyed from the comfort of your home/office computer or as a smart-phone enabled walking tour. The tour is paper-free and uses Google Maps to point out the locations of over 100 species of trees. There are more than 300 photos of the actual trees taken on site plus links in the notes section that provide species-specific information from Wikipedia. On a slow connection it may take a few seconds to load all the pins. Almost all trees are identified with metal plaques at their base or on their trunk.

Dr. Michael A. Dirr author of, "Noble Trees - a walking tour of campus trees" put it well when he wrote: "Campus trees stand for endurance. The oldest ones predate the University's founding. They have survived the Union army's occupation of the campus during the Civil War, the closing and neglect of UNC during Reconstruction, the winds of hurricanes Hazel and Fran, and the ice storm of 2002. At Carolina, natural beauty is as basic as the air we breathe. We can thank our trees for that. Please enjoy them!"

Link to UNC Tree Tour at Google Maps: http://goo.gl/P8d68

Enjoy!

Patrick

PS-I got my gear from WesSpur on Wednesday and climbed my first tree - a majestic white oak in the Carolina North Forest yesterday! Thanks Treeman for your basics video!!
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by pdbrandt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #135593 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Virtual tour of UNC's giant trees
That was pretty neat! Thanks for sharing. I have been taking classes at CPCC and they have some impressive trees as well.

PM me if you would like to climb some historic trees in the Waxhaw area.

More
12 years 6 months ago #135594 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Re:Virtual tour of UNC's giant trees
Good luck getting aloft at UNC. Let us know how you fare. Breez, where's your climbing area in Waxhaw? I'm just a short drive away, and I'm looking for some new climbing areas.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
12 years 6 months ago #135596 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Virtual tour of UNC's giant trees
PM sent B)

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds