• grandur
  • grandur's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #135369 by grandur
Securing a tree was created by grandur
Hi TCI

Since I live in one of the worlds flattest countries I have to get by with what i can.
I have found a big tree with some very nice bark which is basically a bunch of natural holds.

This tree is probably 20 meters tall and there is a part without branches for climbing which is around 10-15 meters .

So what I'm asking is, how should I approach this? Just try to solo it or try to secure myself with some rope over a high branch and a harness?
By the way I don't have any gear what so ever.

Also i know this isn't a V74, but I am very happy to find stuff like this in what is basically my back yard.

-Grandur
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by grandur.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 days ago #135377 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re: Securing a tree
Do not climb without proper gear!
We do not encourage "freeclimbing" under any circunstances.
Get some basic gear saddle, a quality rope, read lot of the info on this site, watch the videos and try to work the basics of safety before you try to climb. Invite a friend to keep an eye on your progress or meet a local arborist to give you some basic classes.
Gravity is always working and you do not want to find out.

More
13 years 6 days ago #135379 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re: Securing a tree
Welcome to the forum Grandur!

A lot of tree climbers climb by ascending ropes and then setting the rope higher up and climbing the rope again and so on.

It sounds like you want to actually climb the tree itself, which is the way I like to do it. However I agree with Oldtimer: always have a harness and a rope over a branch above you as a safety backup.

There is a lot to explain so the idea of going to an arborist to learn and reading the information on this site is essential and you will learn lots of ways to make the whole thing much easier.

Things to consider are:
    How to check that the tree and the branches you are using are safe
    what is the best type of rope and other gear
    the knots that come in handy for every situation
    how to get the rope over a branch high up
    how to use a friction saver to protect the tree from rope burns
    how to climb the rope to the branches and abseil back down
    how to ensure you are always attached to at least one strong branch while you are climbing
    how to ensure that there is never any slack in your ropes so that if you did fall there would be no shock load on the branch you are attached to
    how to ensure that you always can abseil back to the ground if you got stuck or injured

It sounds like a lot of things but arborists and the experienced recreational climbers here have developed the easiest and smoothest ways of doing everything and it's all here for anyone who wants to know!

I also bought a copy of The Treeclimber's Companion by Jeff Jepson when I was learning. It's only a short booklet but has lots of information packed into it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Take care,
Michael

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds