The Handshake

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 9 months ago #134727 by 2chops
The Handshake was created by 2chops
Ok, so here's the deal...Treeman picks me up at SIPS, we exchange pleasantries coupled with the time honered "pressing of the flesh". He comments on the above average quality of my grip and off we go. Apparently he caught on to something different about how I did the aforementioned "Press". Pondering said press, he starts a conversation about how we tree guys tend to annoy others when we greet them because of our above average, and may I add automatic, prowes with the press. So I told him that the trick to avoid having your hand crushed is to simply extend your index finger when you grab a hand to shake. Point it right at the other person. Do this, and no matter how hard they try, they can't hurt you and you can just stand there and smile.
The martial artist in me wants to get all mystical and tell you that you're projecting their "chi" back to them blah blah blah. But the practical explanation is that by extending your finger, it changes the supporting structure of your hand and it becomes self reinforcing. Try it. Even young Matt from Dallas couldn't make us budge. And this guy had bear paw hands.
So there ya are. The new secret tree climbers club "press" pass.

Ron. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #134733 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:The Handshake
When I did Karate we had to shake hands using both hands (a greeting from ancient times so show that you don't intend to attack them with the other hand.

That would make a bear-paw handshake twice as painful! :laugh:

Michael

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #134741 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:The Handshake
I seldom do a two handed handshake. However, when I do I place my left hand at about mid-forearm. Just a touch. That way if the other person gets a bit froggy with me, I can lockout their arm and kindly explain the benefits of being a kinder/gentler type of lad. Sorry to get off topic. But I know there are a lot of us that are into this type of thing. Thought I would throw that out as a freebie.

Hey Treeman, I'm working on that kata that we discussed. I haven't forgotten. I think you'll dig it.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by 2chops.

• Orion
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 9 months ago #134742 by Orion
Replied by Orion on topic Re:The Handshake
It's true. The handshake defender really works. I learned it in Kenpo training long ago. I've taught it to kids and they are always amazed that it works. Shhhhh don't tell .......

B)

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds