How to manage a tree that is climbed often?

More
13 years 7 months ago #134828 by 2chops
I wouldn't leave a leather sleave in the tree. The dew, rain and sun will ruin it in a hurry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• greenluck
  • greenluck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #134831 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:How to manage a tree that is climbed often?
scottdb wrote:

Set semi-permanent tips and leave strings. I use steel cables with small eyes at the ends. Use string to keep in place for string and rope pulling.

You leave the steel cables in the tree?
Do you use the steel cables to pull up a throw line or the rope itself?
What size steel cable?

More
13 years 7 months ago #134834 by 2chops
My guess is that he is using the steel cables, fashoned like a commercialy bought false crotch devise. The steel being more weather and critter resistant. Squirrels will wreek havok on anything chewable left in a tree. I was running an open climb event over the weekend, and a couple of sqirrels eased their way over to one of my climbing stations. Sat within a foot of it, looking very intently at my leather sleave. Till I lobbed a walnut at him. :angry: TAKE THAT!
Anyhow, if you rig a false crotch with cables with eyes, keep a close watch out for corrosion.

Ron.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #134836 by greenluck
Oh, I understand now. Thank you for the clarification!

More
13 years 7 months ago #134857 by MBDiagMan
Replied by MBDiagMan on topic Re:How to manage a tree that is climbed often?
What a great thread!

I am preparing to climb two 90 foot Burr Oaks before they get bulldozed for a pipeline that is taking 185 trees off my place. That is what got me interested in climbing.

In the course of preparing to climb the trees before they're gone, I started looking at other possible climbers. I am now lusting after an even taller Pin Oak that is in such a heavy tree area that there is no underbrush. I went in there on my small tractor with a disc and cleaned everything around that area.

I am hoping that this will be a good climber for many years to come. I will climb it after the two that will be leaving me and expect to trim it a little and hope to see it perk up with the soil attention and trimming.

I have already thought about permanent lines to prevent the need for a throw line every time I climb it, but I would have never guessed that a metal line would be best.

Thanks again for the info.

Doc

More
13 years 7 months ago #134858 by moss
MBDiagMan wrote:

I have already thought about permanent lines to prevent the need for a throw line every time I climb it, but I would have never guessed that a metal line would be best.

I wouldn't ever think that a metal line would be best. As I mentioned I've found that this "task line" is excellent for the purpose.

I think the thread is a general exploration of ideas but there is no consensus that a metal line is optimal.

Makes sense to leave a haul line in for quickly getting into a favorite tree on your property but as a beginning climber take advantage of every opportunity you have to improve your throwing skills, only way to get better is to keep at it.
-moss

More
13 years 7 months ago #134859 by treemonster
Replied by treemonster on topic Re:How to manage a tree that is climbed often?
For maintaining a rope placement I use fishing line. The more UV a throw line or rope is exposed to the weaker they get. Fishing line is more easily hidden in forest and park settings.

Greg

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #134862 by greenluck
What pound test fishing line do you use? 20?

More
13 years 7 months ago #134863 by treemonster
Replied by treemonster on topic Re:How to manage a tree that is climbed often?
20 lb test is fine, I have never come back to a broken line. Usually I just grab whatever is cheap.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #134865 by greenluck
Thanks for the info, I'll try the fishing line idea.

What knot do you recommend for pulling up the climbing line, or do you pull up a throw line first then the climbing line?
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by greenluck.

More
13 years 7 months ago #134871 by moss
greenluck wrote:

Thanks for the info, I'll try the fishing line idea.

What knot do you recommend for pulling up the climbing line, or do you pull up a throw line first then the climbing line?

With fishing line you need to two stage it, first pull up a heavier cord or throwline, then install the rope.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds