Climbing in Northern California

• Hauula
  • Hauula's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
13 years 9 months ago #134621 by Hauula
Climbing in Northern California was created by Hauula
My wife and I are headed to Sacremento and the Redwoods and we were looking to do some low level climbing. We leave tomorrow! Does anyone know of any issues with contaminating gear by climbing in a new forest and then taking a fungus or worse back to your home glade? We are concerned that if we use our gear we may not be able to clean it well enough. We are both climbing in New Tribe Tengu saddles and plan to use our treeboats. We are leaving from Hawaii tomorrow morning and will be in the Lake Berryessa area for a few days before heading to Humboldt.

Any recommendations are appreciated!!

Thanks,
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #134624 by moonbeam
Replied by moonbeam on topic Re: Climbing in Northern California
Hey John,

I have not heard of that before. I know here in Oahu there's a lot of agricultural concerns with taking "things" to the mainland not the other way around. Just make sure your shoes and gear are clean of mud and debris before you head anywhere.

Remember that Hawaii has redwoods already so I don't think you risk bringing anything special back here that isn't already here.

Cheers,

.Miles
.Tree Climbing Hawaii

• mdvaden
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #134774 by mdvaden
Replied by mdvaden on topic Re:Climbing in Northern California
Hauula wrote:

My wife and I are headed to Sacremento and the Redwoods and we were looking to do some low level climbing. We leave tomorrow! Does anyone know of any issues with contaminating gear by climbing in a new forest and then taking a fungus or worse back to your home glade? We are concerned that if we use our gear we may not be able to clean it well enough. We are both climbing in New Tribe Tengu saddles and plan to use our treeboats. We are leaving from Hawaii tomorrow morning and will be in the Lake Berryessa area for a few days before heading to Humboldt.

Any recommendations are appreciated!!

Thanks,
John

A bit late, but in case you are interested for the future, review "SOD" or Sudden Oak Death.

Odds are concertn for contamination would not be a redwood and redwood issue, but possibly picking up a fungus in the Humboldt county area that affects not only oaks, but other trees and shrubs. SOD affects quite a few different species.

But I doubt that your gear would pick up much more than someone's hiking clothes.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds