Climbing Redwoods 44 min Video: Superb

• mdvaden
  • mdvaden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #134560 by mdvaden
Any of you seen the Nat Geo Explorer episode last winter about Redwoods? The screen counterpart to the October 2009 National Geographic Magazine cover story about Redwoods the Tallest Trees. It was put online a few days ago. Its not the short 2 minute photo promo, but the full 44 minute episode.

They posted it as "Climbing the Redwoods", but the Fay transect and some other is included. The redwood canopy research climbing part really stands out.

44 minute video online

Includes the canopy climbing in the redwoods, the 1800 mile Fay redwood transect and more. Good background music. The climbing is being done in several redwoods.

Grab a beverage and enjoy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #134565 by fireax
Replied by fireax on topic Re: Climbing Redwoods 44 min Video: Superb
I don't know anything about YouTube. Is there a way to get a full screen version? Can I save it to my hard drive?

• mdvaden
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #134566 by mdvaden
Replied by mdvaden on topic Re: Climbing Redwoods 44 min Video: Superb
fireax wrote:

I don't know anything about YouTube. Is there a way to get a full screen version? Can I save it to my hard drive?

Did you try playing the embedded video in my post? That's not a picture, but an embedded Youtube viewer.

And I'm pretty sure there is a full screen option, if you order a DVD. The editorial review on the Amazon page linked below indicates that the DVD is the same as the video I posted. As good as it looks on a small computer screen player, its got to look really good on a a full size television set.

Climbing the Redwood Giants DVD at Amazon.com

B)
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by mdvaden.

More
13 years 11 months ago #134569 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Climbing Redwoods 44 min Video: Superb
Well Mario, I tried playing the video but it says that National Geographic has blocked it in my country. Charming!

I really wanted to see that video and now my beverage is going flat :(

Michael

• mdvaden
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #134570 by mdvaden
Replied by mdvaden on topic Re:Climbing Redwoods 44 min Video: Superb
michaeljspraggon wrote:

Well Mario, I tried playing the video but it says that National Geographic has blocked it in my country. Charming!

I really wanted to see that video and now my beverage is going flat :(

Michael

A UK arborist on a tree forum mentioned that the video was blocked from his view too. I'm not sure which countries can see it, and which can't on that Youtube channel.

I was almost ready to order a copy. Then found it in the sidebar on Youtube.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #134573 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Climbing Redwoods 44 min Video: Superb
Nice video......

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #134578 by fireax
Yes, your embeded video works for me, but it just whets my appetite. Thanks for the link. DVD Ordered.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by fireax.

More
13 years 11 months ago #134593 by fireax
Got my copy from Amazon yesterday. Excellent, but wish they showed more climbing and less walking. Now I'm looking for someone with one of those huge screen, high def TV's. The more I get the more I want. Guess nothing is going to really satisfy me short of a trip to California.

Mario, did you ever find a redwood, perhaps on private land or a theme park, where they would let you climb? Doesn't have to be the biggest one in the world. After my 120 foot Loblollies a 250 or 300 footer would be pretty satisfying.

• mdvaden
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #134594 by mdvaden
On either Treebuzz.com or the Masterblaster Tree House forum last year, I saw some photos from a group who climbed big old coast redwoods on private land: hence, legal.

Not sure what the topic titles were.

There is a rec climbing category at treebuzz where you could post regarding who did the climb and if they plan to repeat.

:)

More
13 years 11 months ago #134595 by fireax
Thanks. I'll try it. I'm planning a trip in August to visit my sister in Portland and I think I might just hit the southern end of the redwood range and follow the coast up.

More
13 years 11 months ago #134596 by moss
Fireax you might be able to find a Douglas Fir that's not in an explicit no climb zone in the height range you are looking for in Oregon or Washington.
-moss

More
13 years 11 months ago #134598 by fireax
Thanks, Moss. I think I saw a post in one of these forums from someone looking for climbing partners for Doug Firs. I'll be doing some searches to see what I can find.

Wish we could get you in as director on one of those National Geo projects. If we could get some of their resources under your management we could almost feel the bark in our shorts.

• mdvaden
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #134599 by mdvaden
moss wrote:

Fireax you might be able to find a Douglas Fir that's not in an explicit no climb zone in the height range you are looking for in Oregon or Washington.
-moss

Forgot what search of mine yesterday led to a climber topic, but didn't you just recently climb a large giant sequoia?

Which grove or forest area?

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #134600 by moss

mdvaden wrote:Forgot what search of mine yesterday led to a climber topic, but didn't you just recently climb a large giant sequoia?

That is correct, I've recently returned from a visit to the west coast. The forest I climbed in is 2nd/3rd growth with isolated sequoia. The trees are not equal in stature to the huge examples of the species in the national parks and well known sequoia groves. I'm not disclosing the specific or general location, I don't reveal locations on my east coast woods climbs either (except for specific permitted research climbs), nothing personal. Photos posted here
-moss
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by moss.

• mdvaden
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #134604 by mdvaden
moss wrote:

mdvaden wrote:Forgot what search of mine yesterday led to a climber topic, but didn't you just recently climb a large giant sequoia?

That is correct, I've recently returned from a visit to the west coast. The forest I climbed in is 2nd/3rd growth with isolated sequoia. The trees are not equal in stature to the huge examples of the species in the national parks and well known sequoia groves. I'm not disclosing the specific or general location, I don't reveal locations on my east coast woods climbs either (except for specific permitted research climbs), nothing personal. Photos posted here
-moss

Those are some pretty good pics. The branch collar areas are generally pretty cool looking on that species. Liked that cone photo with the lichens. I don't think I've seen a cone photo with lichens posted on flickr before.

:)

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds