Tree climbing As A Physical Excercise Program

More
14 years 2 months ago #134394 by Davej
Baker wrote:

4 DAN HOUSE 3/4" X 30" ROPE SLEEVE

Oh, too bad you aren't buying just the makings. I'd like to find someone with some excess endcaps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #134396 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re: Tree climbing line Colors and Sizes
Dave on this page you can see examples of different colors and sizes of lines used for tree entry.

http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=37_48

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #134409 by moss
Davej wrote:

Oh, too bad you aren't buying just the makings. I'd like to find someone with some excess endcaps.

I was in my local Home Depot today and was happy to see that they're now stocking a 3/4" liquid tight connector that has an excellent end cap inside.

RACO #3403-8 3/4" straight liquid tight connector
$4.97 per connector at Home Depot. On the Ace Hardware website you can get them for $2.90 a piece with a purchase of ten, excellent deal. The endcap is actually a better design then the T&B endcap.

Well that ends my endcap drought.
-moss
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by moss.

More
14 years 2 months ago #134414 by Davej
moss wrote:

I was in my local Home Depot today and was happy to see that they're now stocking a 3/4" liquid tight connector that has an excellent end cap inside.

RACO #3403-8 3/4" straight liquid tight connector
$4.97 per connector at Home Depot. On the Ace Hardware website you can get them for $2.90 a piece with a purchase of ten, excellent deal. The endcap is actually a better design then the T&B endcap.

Really? I will have to go look.

• Baker
  • Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago #134448 by Baker
Just received an email from New Tribe that our order has shipped! Due to be delivered here in PA on the 9th. You KNOW I will post pics! Now all I have to do is get the $3000 reimbursement check from the government!

More
14 years 1 month ago #134451 by GaDawg
Has anyone tried the Halex Chase Conduit Nipple
from Home Depot for friction savers made with liquid-tight flexible conduit?

Model # 90702
Store SKU # 293669
$0.76/EA
Attachments:

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #134452 by moss
GaDawg wrote:

Has anyone tried the Halex Chase Conduit Nipple
from Home Depot for friction savers made with liquid-tight flexible conduit?

Model # 90702
Store SKU # 293669
$0.76/EA

It can work, I believe it has a hard corner on the inside. A benefit of the endcap that I posted earlier is that it covers and contains the ragged metal edge of the conduit end. Also the hex shape could give you some trouble placing the sleeve in tight situations. It's cheap, it will work but not as well as what is generally used successfully for conduit sleeves. Always trade-offs.
-moss
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by moss.

More
14 years 1 month ago #134453 by oldtimer
The first friction saver I made I used that type of fitting and they are too bulky and heavy but they work if you put sufficient electrical tape over the end. Maybe even filling down some of the edges to make it lighter and smother that would work for you. If you are interested on buying a few of the large diameter ones or smaller diameter ones, Treetranp can get you some if you agree to wait until he orders a new box of supplies. They come in boxes of 50 or 100 or something like that so you do not want to pay for that many any but he makes Savers to sell and I decided a while back it was a lot easier to pay him and get a good product than me trying to re-invent the wheel every time. His price is very competitive. Read a review inthe Gear Rating Section of TCI more more opinions on the F-savers.

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #134454 by Baker
Since you all hijacked my topic and took it down a road it was not intended to go, I'll offer this:

I've been using friction savers made with similar fittings for over a year now. The trick is to round of the corners and edges with a hand-held grinder before installing the fittings.
Before

After

Diameter compared to leather

Here's a closeup
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Baker. Reason: added photo

More
14 years 1 month ago #134457 by GaDawg
Thanks guys for your experiences on what you all have tinkered with in the past. I have read the reviews of the Dan House Friction Saver and maybe one of these days I will try it for my positioner. I have used the liguid-tight sleeve a few times both with the Halex ends and without. I put it up in an oak over a large limb so installation was not really any issue other than the pvc is slippery. I too find it a bit bulky and really stiff in the cold. Recently, I purchased one of the $20 leather ones from Sherrill so for now I will continue to use it. When its snowing, raining or really windy on a weekend day its hard not to play around with something climbing related.

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago #134458 by Baker
I like the leather sleeves too. If for no other reason but the weight, or lack thereof. Nice to carry in a backpack or hanging on my saddle.

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #134459 by Baker
OK, Here's what the boxes from New Tribe looked like when they arrived yesterday...

Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Baker.

More
14 years 1 month ago #134464 by Davej
Baker wrote:

Since you all hijacked my topic and took it down a road it was not intended to go, I'll offer this

Ha, well, it wasn't intentional. Sorry. I've created a new thread now in the Gear forum.

More
14 years 1 month ago #134465 by Davej
Baker wrote:

Oooooh, look at those little baby saddles, and the fat momma saddles...;-)

More
14 years 1 month ago #134467 by moss
Looking good, my favorite color helmet. Congrats Baker and good luck with your climbs this year!
-moss

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds