new forum topic: legal issues

• dave_b_quick
  • dave_b_quick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
16 years 6 months ago #130654 by dave_b_quick
new forum topic: legal issues was created by dave_b_quick
I was looking for a thread on the legalities of climbing in parks and on city property. There are probably legal issues related to climbing on private property too. Maybe worth starting a new thread? -Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #130668 by jerseygirl
Replied by jerseygirl on topic Re:new forum topic: legal issues
This thread should be in the discussion forum.

BUT look up the word

\"Trepassing\"

If you are not invited to climb on private property.

In law, trespass can be:# the criminal act of going into somebody else's land or property without permission; # it is also a civil law tort that may be a valid cause of action to seek judicial relief and possibly damages through a lawsuit.

Check with DNR or the State Foresty service about thier rules as each group or park has their own rules.

as for County or local government parks you would have to ask the Parks department also

Enjoy the trees you climb

jz

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #131702 by wildrice
Replied by wildrice on topic Re:new forum topic: legal issues
Hi,

I am the Resource Manager for Panola Mountain State Park, which is part of the GA PRHS. We do tree climbing here for groups and workshops, but only under tree guides. If you would like to discuess this more please call me.

Jody Rice
Resource Manager
Panola Mountain State Park
770-389-7801
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mother Earth- Our Most Sacred Heirloom
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by wildrice.

More
15 years 9 months ago #131787 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:new forum topic: legal issues
There is no \"typical\" law about tree climbing be it in parks or other public lands. You will need to do local research on the specific areas you intend to climb in. I have had open arms regarding tree climbing in some areas and reactions against it by people of the same land.

Recreational tree climbing with rope and saddle is still a new concept even though it is 25 years old. It really takes a long time for a culture to adopt new ideas.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
14 years 1 month ago #134477 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:new forum topic: legal issues
I live in PA. In 2008 while at the Outdoor Expo at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, I talked with the representatives from the PA and NY State Dep. of forrestry/DCNR about the legality of rec. tree climbing on state lands. Here's what I was told as of then. Neither rep. had ever heard of our sport. When I explained it to them they were quite intrigued, but could not answer my question. Both state reps. referred me to the head forrester in their respective agencys. The NY office got in touch with me a few days later and said "knock your self out." The PA office responded a few days later also and said that as long as you don't harm the trees with nails or any other kind of intrussive device, and don't cut any limbs off of the trees "you can climb to your hearts content." This is concerning the use of State forrest lands and state game lands of both states. The Pa rep. did say that it may be a good idea to contact the local forrester to inform them of what your doing. Good will and all that you know. Locally I'm still trying to turn our city streets and parks supervisor in our favor. Hope this helps. If any one finds yourself in the Williamsport area give me a holler. I know of some cool trees that offer a great squirles eye view.

More
14 years 1 month ago #134478 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:new forum topic: legal issues
Hey PA! Howdy 2chops! We've climbed w/ 25 kids at Hickory Run State Park (PA), and no one said anything, even though the ranger stopped to watch for a while

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds